Inspiron 6400 LCD Screen black

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 6400 LCD Screen black

This question is not answered

My laptop was working fine one day, the next day my screen was black.  I thought it might have gone into sleep mode, so I powered it down via the power button.  Came back on, seen the startup dos screen, then all of a sudden the screen went reddish tint, then flickered and went black again.  It did this a couple of times, now it's just black, but I can barely see what's going on, I can pick it out, but barely.  

I hooked it up to a monitor, it works perfect.

I then thought it might be the connection to the motherboard, so I took off the hinge cover and disconnected the cable, then reconnected it, no luck, same result.  Checked the other connections and they seem fine.

What could it be?  Screen gone?  Inverter?  What else can I do to troubleshoot.  Unfortunately,  my warranty ran out a few months ago, will cost close to 500 bux to fix according to Dell support.

If the problem was other then replacing the screen, I'd try to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

All Replies
  • Forgot to mention that the whole screen was replaced recently under warranty, but the 3 month warranty on the screen had already ran out, like weeks ago.

• Could be the LCD or the inverter. Replacing the inverter is the cheapest. If you replace the inverter and you still have an issue then it will be your LCD backlight.

Sam

Alienware M11x R2 - Inspiron 17R (7010) - Inspiron E1505

Forum Member since 2004

"If your issue was resolved, please push the Verified Answer button".

• Hard to say what it is....could be either a faulty cable, inverter, or backlight/LCD.  I just replaced the LCD in my 6400 last week and it was actually a lot easier then I thought it would be, there are instructions available from Dell http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/sm/display.htm#wp1022270.  And ya it would have been over $500 for Dell to do it (plus I'd be without my laptop for a few days at least), or about $350 if I bought the LCD from Dell and installed it myself (also they were out of stock of the particular LCD I wanted).  So instead for $200 I bought the LCD+inverter from a local store and installed it myself.  Although for less than $50 they would have done it for me.  If you want to try it yourself then I'd first try replacing the cable and/or inverter (actually, first I'd just made sure the cable hasn't come loose, although unlikely since the video cable goes in pretty tightly).  Otherwise, find a local store that can do it.  I googled "Dell laptop LCD replacement" or stuff like that and found several places for my laptop.  Here's some helpful hints from the website of the store I used:

Q: Do I need a new laptop LCD screen if my LCD screen is dim? You may or may not need a new Laptop LCD screen if the Laptop LCD screen is dim. If your Laptop LCD screen is dim it may be as a result of either 1) a faulty backlight or 2) a faulty inverter. The backlight is basically the light bulb in the laptop LCD screen which as one would suspect has an average useful life. The inverter, though, is a separate piece from the Laptop LCD screen. The inverter essentially 1) takes the DC power which the laptop runs off of and converts it into AC power and 2) steps-up the voltage to light up the cold cathode fluorescent backlight.

Q: Do I need a new laptop LCD screen if I have lines on my screen? It is possible that you need a new laptop LCD screen. The presence of lines could indicate a problem with the screen, the video cable or the video card.

Symptoms " Laptop LCD Screen" :

• The laptop appears to start as usual but the screen is black, if you move it, it turns on and works properly. Failed cable.
    • The laptop appears to start as usual but the screen is very dark, although it changes colour a little and you can see a very feint image. Failed inverter or cable 90%/10%.
    • Immediately after starting the screen has dark pink/red tint and turns dark after a few seconds. Failed backlight.
    • The screen flickers a few times but then turns dark, if you move it or tap it lightly on the sides, it flickers again. Failed cable or LCD 50%/50%.
    • Screen is either black or white (no picture) and external monitor works. Failed cable or LCD 20%/80%.
    • There are stripes on the screen (either vertical or horizontal) that change when you move the screen or tap it lightly on the sides. Failed cable or LCD 5%/95%.
    • In all above cases, if you plug in an external monitor, everything shows fine on it (you have to plug it in before starting the laptop and may need to press the “Fn” key together with one of the “F1″ – “F10″ keys to make the laptop recognize the external monitor).
  • I know this was posted a few months ago but this sounds like your backlight has failed.  It is much easier to replace the screen than to replace the backlight.  Backlight replacement is very time consuming and will probably cost similar to a new screen.