Unable to play protected content.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Unable to play protected content.

This question is not answered

Brand new Studio 17, Windows 7 Home Premium, Hitachi Blu-Ray drive, ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 1GB graphics with HDMI output port, PowerDVD DX 8.3.5424. While this is one awesome notebook, I am unable to play Blu-Ray DVDs when connected to flat screen HDTV via the HDMI port.

Issue is only when I try to connect via HDMI port.  Message displayed is "PowerDVD is not able to play the protected content on your digital output device. Switch to an analog (VGA, D-sub) and then try again. (ERROR CODE = 0110) It will play the Blu-Ray DVD just fine on the notebook screen.  I have tried the display in "Duplicate" "Extended" and "Monitor Only" mode without any change or success.

The first time I contacted Dell support, I was told that nothing was wrong and that my HDTV was not HDCP compliant.  That the software and hardware will not work with non-HDCP monitors.  Made sense so I ended the chat session and went to check my HDTV.  It is HDCP compliant on all 4 HDMI inputs.

The second chat session agent's first reaction/instruction was to uninstall/reinstall PowerDVD software. I have spent hours upon hours uninstalling and reinstalling software on warranty Dell PC's in the past to prove their was a hardware problem.  As I have already spent several hours researching this I know that there is an issue with PowerDVD DX.  Reading forums, this is apparently a KNOWN SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY ISSUE does anyone out there know of a solution?

Thank You!

All Replies
  • Hi, Viper57:

Does VGA work?

• I haven't tried connecting via VGA. The purpose of ordering the Blu-Ray player and HDMI output was to connect to HDTV for Blu-Ray DVD playback.  Why would I want to connect VGA?

• viper57

Why would I want to connect VGA?

It's called troubleshooting. Ever heard of it?

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• It would appear it is a problem with PowerDVD, and until Cyberlink fixes it, you can use a HDMI to DVI cable.

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/blu-ray-hdcp-error-t189769.html

http://www.amazon.com/STARTECH-COM-HDMIDVIMM10-HDmi-Dvi-Cable/dp/B0007RB25I

• For ieee488 "It's called troubleshooting. Ever heard of it?"

My original reply was deleted by Dell.  It contained: "It's amazing how there is always somebody that comes along that just has to denigrate other people. No constructive input just snide remarks."  Please read the entire post and then explain how using an analog output device will aid in troubleshooting a digital output problem associated with protected content. Thank you!

• Thanks for the input!  That's pretty much what I'm hearing and reading about PowerDVD.  I would probably be better off just to invest in a stand alone Blu-Ray player.  Sad that this known issue hasn't been solved yet.

• Using an analog output would isolate input issues on the tv, and output issues on the system.  It would verify "Yes, this TV can process signals from this laptop".  I do, however, tend to side with the thought that the issue is with PowerDVD, which still lag in classic DVD playback in some cases.  (I have a few DVD's it lacks a decoder for, as example)

• Thanks Downix!  The HDTV handles the HDMI output from the PC without any problems until a content protected DVD is played.  It is my understanding that there is a known issue with PowerDVD DX processing the digital content.  Some people have temporarily solved the problem by downloading the PowerDVD 9 trial package.  Hard for me to believe that I will have to pay an additional $100 to play content protected DVDs via the HDMI port.  Others are successfully playing these content protected DVDs by disabling the notebook screen and only using the monitor... didn't work here.  Thanks again!

• Viper:

Some forum members have reported that when they called Dell about this problem, Dell was willing to send them version 9 of PowerDVD. You might try that.

Unfortunately, the whole DRM thing with Blu-Ray has been made unnecessarily complicated. One reason to stick with DVDs for now. Still very cheap and easy to work around these sorts of problems.

• Osprey4... I will do that... after the holidays!  I just D/L'd Slysoft's anydvd HD and it stripped off the HDCP junk and it now works like a charm (for 21 days anyway).  At least my grandsons can watch their new Blu-Ray DVDs.  It is definitely an HDCP issue with PowerDVD.  Have a Merry Christmas and I appreciate your help!

•  

UPDATE***

I contacted Dell again through online chat.  I was told that their recommendations would definitely solve my problems... all I had to do was change the audio setting in PowerDVD to HDMI (no such option) and download the newest Broadcom Blu-Ray Accelerator.  The agent did take responsibility and wanted to call me the next day to confirm my issue was resolved.  I d/l'd the accelerator... problem is, my graphics card is an ATI!!!

The next day the agent called... if I had a nickel for every time I asked him to repeat himself (barely spoke English but you guys are already aware of that), I could retire.  After about an hour on the phone he told me:

1 - My HDTV was not HDCP compliant (probably from a script).  He asked for the Make & model which I gave him SEVERAL times.  It is a brand new Vizio and all 4 HDMI inputs are HDCP compliant.  He kept asking me who "made it"... I spelled V-I-Z-I-O for him numerous times and he actually said go look at the front of the TV... it has a manufacturer like SONY or Panasonic!?!  I asked if he hed ever heard of Vizio... he said no!!!  I then told him that Dell sells Vizio TVs!!!

2 - That playing HDCP blu-ray content via the HDMI port was impossible because HDCP would not allow more than 1 monitor to be connected.  I refused to accept that answer because I was told by the sales agent that it would.  I finally spoke to his supervisor and was told that this has never been a problem because it is a well known fact that  HDCP would not allow 2 monitors to be connected. I asked why it would not play when I disabled my laptop screen and only enabled the HDTV... no answer other than I could not disable the laptop screen... that it would always be detected by HDCP!?!

Another interesting tidbit from the supervisor... he was not aware there were any people having problems with playing blu-ray via HDMI port!  I told him he needed to take a look at the Dell forums.  He asked me to send him the links from the forums so he could make this know to customer support! He finally agreed to email me a link to download the PowerDVD 9 software... it turned out to be on CNet and is the PowerDVD Suite 7 TRIAL.

After spending an eternity on the phone, I went back to Dell.com and a sales agent said the following when specifically asked about blu-ray via HDMI port:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.time {mso-style-name:time;} span.name {mso-style-name:name;} span.text {mso-style-name:text;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

9:52:15 AM   

Customer 

ME

... With the blu-ray and HDMI graphics output, will I be able to play blu-ray dvd on HDTV via the HDMI port? Is the laptop graphics card HDCP compliant?

9:52:45 AM   

Agent 

DELL AGENT   

Yes it is. And you will be able to play bluray.

(the names were changed and these are just excerpts)

So, I guess it's up to the consumer to figure this one out.  It looks like the best option here is to continue using anydvd or try to find some othe player that will work.  I will attach a device via the VGA port and see if 2 devices can be connected at 1 time.  I also read ( and downloaded) all the HDCP Standards and could not find anywhere in them that only 1 device can be connected.  As a matter of fact, isn't HDCP to keep content from being pirated?  If so, why would it matter as long as the devices were HDCP compliant.

Rant over!