Dell screen going wonky, colored lines, black screen, etc.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell screen going wonky, colored lines, black screen, etc.

This question is not answered

I'm not sure how to explain my problem.  I'm no where near a Windows/PC/Dell person (I'm a college student, it was the cheapest computer at the time) so bear with me.  This is what it says in my System and Maintenance window on my computer.  I have Windows Vista, a Dell (obviously) Inspiron 1545.  The processor says Intel Pentium Dual CPU. 

The problem?  When I even touch my screen it goes a bit wacky.  It's hard to explain; it starts rapidly flashing a black screen with colored lines (it looks like my windows that I have open are being distorted into colored lines.)  It's really confusing to explain without showing a picture.  I can't use the computer on a uneven surface (it has to be a flat surface, for example a desk).  To "fix" the problem I have to close my lap top and reopen (even though sometimes that doesn't work until I do it like six or 7 times).

The last time this happened I had a Dell (was a few years ago).  I don't have the time to send my computer away for a week or 2 to get fixed..

Does anyone know what the problem is, or is having a similar problem?

If it helps any I bought it from Wal-Mart (which I will NEVER do again..)

All Replies
  • Does the faulty replicate itself on an external monitor, or is the display OK there?

• It's only on my lap top, works (seemingly) fine when i hook it up to my external monitor.

• Try reseating the cable that runs between the display panel and mainboard.  If that doesn't work, replace the display panel.

• Is that something that's easy to do for a computer illiterate person?

• youdontknowmel

Is that something that's easy to do for a computer illiterate person?

No