Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M Problems on Latitude D820

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M Problems on Latitude D820

This question is answered

Hi,

A few weeks ago I started having problems with my display showing a number of video abnormalities. These include:

• Vertical gray lines (sometimes flickering) on BIOS loading screen
  • Vertical green lines on Windows XP loading screen
  • Occasional crashes/stop errors showing problems with nv4_mini.sys (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)
  • If Windows does load, flickering or faint pink vertical lines or artifacts, sometimes with a 1" square box of blue lines that follows the mouse cursor around the screen.

I have tried:

• Formatting the HD and reinstalling XP
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia driver from the Dell Website
  • Updating the BIOS

etc. etc. and nothing has seemed to work. What is most annoying is that the problem is inconsistent. Sometimes I can start the computer and run it for hours without any of the above symptoms showing. Other times, I struggle to start the computer even in Safe Mode.

Can anyone figure out what these are symptoms of, and if it's a simple software fix or if my graphics card is on the outs?

Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • Same exact thing happening to me as I type, I have not found a solution either, going to let the pro's in IT take a crack at it.

• The failure is typical of a bad nVidia video chip.  There's a 1-year warranty extension to cover this part:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

• Just picked one of these up in old joblot and its sort of*  working fine (was going to keep for own use) but am interested in the failure rate of this models GPU (Nvidia have had big issue in this regard).

Initial etst seems unpromising mind you,,,Win 7  Gives 2.2 on The CPU score with a T2600?  Hmmm....

• I don't think anyone has published data on that - but they'll all fail, and given the age of the systems now, probably sooner rather than later.

All Replies
  • Same exact thing happening to me as I type, I have not found a solution either, going to let the pro's in IT take a crack at it.

• The failure is typical of a bad nVidia video chip.  There's a 1-year warranty extension to cover this part:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

• Just picked one of these up in old joblot and its sort of*  working fine (was going to keep for own use) but am interested in the failure rate of this models GPU (Nvidia have had big issue in this regard).

Initial etst seems unpromising mind you,,,Win 7  Gives 2.2 on The CPU score with a T2600?  Hmmm....

• I don't think anyone has published data on that - but they'll all fail, and given the age of the systems now, probably sooner rather than later.