Dell Inspiron 1721 - Windows 7 Video Drivers

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1721 - Windows 7 Video Drivers

This question is not answered

I've just upgraded my 1721 to windows 7.  Runs like a dream compared with Vista, however the screen resolution is awful and cannot be adjusted any further.

I understand Dell need to create some drivers, anyone know when these will be available?

Cheers

Monkey_Juice

All Replies
  • Dell doesn't create drivers. The hardware manufacturers do that. Check Windows Update site first and then check the video card manufacturer's web site.

• After a week of trial and error and searching, I found it myself.

Go to the ATI website (1721 has an ATI 1250 Graphics card), download the Catalyst application, this will fix the drivers for win7.

http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html

Don't waste your time with driver detective or driver robot, they're rubbish.

• Thanks for the valuable hint.

Did you had to load other drivers, like the SATA driver, when installing Windows 7?

Did you encounter any other issues besides the graphic card?

• Hi, no SATA driver, for now everything looks sweet, no issues apart from the video card.

Boots up in 60 seconds compared with Vista's 4 minutes+

• I wanted to know if you installed Windows 7 from a cd provided by dell or just a regular windows cd...

Much Thanks

Nico

• That was my experience, installing from a standard Windows 7 Utlimate disk, too.  I just had to go get the right video driver and all is well.

Loading drivers for other things just seems to cause problems.  The windows 7 disk has all of the stuff except the right Video driver.

Now, if I can only get my touchpad to stop giving me spurious characters when I also have a bluetooth MS mouse connected ...