Lost high resolution capability under Windows 7

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Lost high resolution capability under Windows 7

This question is not answered

Dell laptop model D820 with the nVidia Quadro NVS 120 provides a high resolution of 1920 x 1200 under Windows XP Pro SP3. Now upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and highest resolution we can achieve is 1600 x 1200. The lower resolution is quite a loss for us. If you need or enjoy the 1920 x 1200, you may want to stay with XP.

We have tried several sets of drivers including some direct from nVidia and laptopvideo2go.com. So far, no luck at all. Is anyone out there able to continue the 1920 x 1200 resolution under Windows 7?

I assume this has probably been the case with Vista as well and Dell has simply taken an attitude of "just buy the latest hardware" rather than support existing lines. I hope I am proved wrong.

Don

------

UPDATE 11/2/2009

I have discovered that my problem is apparently not the nVidia drivers alone - I can actually get 1920x1200 resolution when using the Vista 64 drivers from Dell (I think - I tried both Dell and drivers directly from nVidia but I think what I am using now is the Dell set). My problem is when I am using my the laptop on the Dell expansion device where it is connected to my Dell 2407WFP monitor. Windows 7 cannot correctly identify the monitor as just identifies it as "Generic Non-pnp monitor". The monitor is capable of 1920x1200 but the software thinks it cannot and thus limits the resolution. I have another system running 64-bit that also identifies the monitor as "Generic non-pnp monitor" but the high-end ATI gaming graphics card easily provides 1920x1200 anyway. The same laptop on XP Pro provided 1920x1200 with no problem.

So in summary - laptop alone can reach 1920x1200 resolution under Windows 7 but graphics card will not match this when using the Dell 2407WFP monitor. I will image the install and then reinstall my drive with XP Pro and continue with that. Really disappointing.

Don

All Replies
  • dondraper40

Dell laptop model D820 with the nVidia Quadro NVS 120 provides a high resolution of 1920 x 1200 under Windows XP Pro SP3. Now upgraded to Windows 7 Ulitmate and highest resolution we can achieve is 1600 x 1200. The lower resolution is quite a loss for us. If you need or enjoy the 1920 x 1200, you may want to stay with XP.

We have tried several sets of drivers including some direct from nVidia and laptopvideo2go.com. So far, no luck at all. Is anyone out there able to continue the 1920 x 1200 resolution under Windows 7?

I assume this has probably been the case with Vista as well and Dell has simply taken an attitude of "just buy the latest hardware" rather than support existing lines. I hope I am proved wrong.

Don

Have you tried to Update the graphics drivers from Windows Update?

According to this Dell website;

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dsn/en/document?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&docid=360683&l=en&s=bsd

the Latitude D820 is compatible with Windows 7, so Dell should be releasing compatible drivers for your system soon I would expect.

By the way I've personally had no problems with Vista and the nVidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics adaptor in my Vostro 1700 with it's 17" 1920*1200 LCD panel, I get the full resolution without any problem at all. So I would expect that your system should work fine once you have the correct drivers installed.

HTH,

Jonathan.

Technical Director,

PQSA Services,

Ässisting NGO's with IT Services'.

• Hi,

I think this is some sort of sick joke from Dell. 

I have exactly the same situation - clean install of W7 led to unusably low screen resolution on my 820 with a nVidia Quadro NVS 110. A W7 compatibility check did not flag any issues.  It is hardly the case that the 820 is obsolete hardware - Dell surely has an obligation to provide updated drivers comparable with the OEM XP drivers to give native resolution of 1900 x 1200.  These need to be provided in a timely way - i.e. now!  If they don't then I will likely never buy Dell again - and we have had 7 machines from them in the last decade.

I ended up reinstalling XP, no choice, but what a waste of time and effort and loss of goodwill towards Dell.

John