Please HELP me Connect My Monitor to my Laptop

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Please HELP me Connect My Monitor to my Laptop

This question is not answered

Hey everyone.

I'm at my wits end.

I'm trying to hook my Dell Monitor to my Sony Vaio Laptop.

I'm told that all I have to do is plug it in and hit Func Key F7 and it will work...NOT

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I would do this?

You can e-mail direct if you like  debmullen at cox.net

Thanks

Deb

All Replies
  • This is going to be a dumb question. Fair warning over.

You typed "Func Key F7" in your description- are you just pressing F7? Or are you holding down the "FN" key on your keyboard (usually on laptops it's close to the Win Key) and then pressing F7?

Again forgive me if it's a rather basic troubleshoot but I want to make sure we're on the same page.

• Thanks for the Basic Stuff...It's always what I like to check first.  And, yes, I am holding down the Function Key and then pressing F7.  It does not work.  First I plug in my monitor to the laptop and then turn the laptop on.  Next I hold the Function Key and then press F7.  My monitor when not attached shows a elf Test check, when I plug it in the screen turns black and when I press a key it says it is in Power Save Mode. 

I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks

Deb

• Have you tried another monitor (that uses the same type of connection), or tried the monitor on a different computer? Also, does the monitor have multiple inputs and have you verified it's set to the right input (that is being used by the laptop)?

The self test means the monitor itself works, but if your monitor has DVI and VGA and you hooked up via one, but the monitor is set to use the other, you still cannot see anything.

Member since 2003

• I really hate being this dumb.  I do not have another monitor.  The monitor was purchased with my Dell computer which I am no longer using.  There are only two cords with my monitor.  One that plugs into the electrical outlet and one that plugs into the computer.  Is there someway to check the input: D