Computer freezing when watching video

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Computer freezing when watching video

This question is not answered

This just started happening about 2 days ago.  Everytime I try watching a movie (Hulu and Netflix online), the computer freezes a few minutes in.  Before this started happening, I had never seen my computer freeze this way--the screen locks on the last frame, and the audio repeats like a broken record on the last note played. The mouse, nor any keys work (ie ctrl+alt+del).  This forces me to hold down the power button to turn it off. 

Yesterday, when it was happening, i tried moving the mouse every minute or so while the video was playing, and that seemed to keep it from freezing.... but I don't have a screensaver on, and the power settings say to turn off monitor after 30 min, and it was freezing after maybe 10 minutes.

The only thing I've installed recently is an external harddrive, which is not connected currently.

All Replies
  • What model laptop is it?  What OS are you using?  And what media player are you using to watch videos?

Have you tried reinstalling/updating your graphics drivers?

Have you tried installing/updating a codecs pack - i.e. the K-Lite Codec Pack?

Other than that... try a different media player, to see if it makes any difference?

Top 5 free media players Idea

The first one mentioned on that page (VLC) is highly recommended by many Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• it is a dell inspiron e6400 with xp media center. 

i think i have figured out that this only occurs when i connect to my university's VPN.  i connect to this because the internet often runs very slow or doesn't load sites at all without being on the vpn, but after i connect to it, everything seems to work fine. 

the computer freezes when i am on the VPN and watching a video on the web (it's been with several different players so far.)  i haven't been able to see if it freezes without being on VPN because I can't load the videos up.