Video driver problem for Dell XPS M1330

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Video driver problem for Dell XPS M1330

This question is not answered

Hey guys,

Is there anybody can help me with my video driver problem for Dell XPS M1330 with Windows Vista? My system is working fine while it uses the standard VGA driver from Microsoft, the moment I update the driver(from dell & Nvidia website) the screen is becoming black and not loading windows then the power is off.

All Replies
  • It is likely a failed nVidia chip - contact Dell for a warranty replacement of the system board.

If your system is out of warranty note that the video chip warranty is extended by one year beyond the end of the warranty you purchased.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx

• Thanks husky0894 I'll do that......

• If the display is OK using the VGA driver, then you DO NOT have a problem with the Nvidia hardware.

Exactly what drivers have you tried from the Dell and Nvidia sites? The latest Nvidia laptop driver, 179.48 should be no problem.

What is exacxtly the procedure you are using to effect the update?

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1 Home - 32 bit

• Hi KirkD,

I've try the 179.48 version from Nvidia and the 176.44 version from Dell and also downloaded and installed the latest Bios update from Dell.

I'm updating the driver by running the setup program itself which did'nt work, i try to uninstall the standard driver from the hardware manager in Windows that either did'nt work, the system is giving a message that the driver was updated and once I restart , the system will not load windows and the screen turns to black and sometimes a white screen with verticall lines. But i knew the system is working cause I can hear the Windows vista welcome sound. Then shutdown the system, go to safe mode and change again the video driver to Standard VGA, restart and system works again.

I also completely re-install windows vista and install the driver from the system Resource CD but failed, so I'm now using the standard VGA driver.

Hope this expalin what i did to my system.

• This is strange, as the video card should be OK iif it works with the VGA driver. I suppose there could be defective video RAM that's not used when you use the VGA driver.

There must be something else wrong with the hardware. Go to the Dell Diagnostics, F12 at the Dell boot screen, and run a complete diagnostics. If everything tests OK, then call Dell again and insist on a system board replacement. You have done enough troubleshooting to indicate a hardware problem somewhere.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1 Home - 32 bit

• I've tried the Dell diagnostics already before I re-install Windows and it passed all the test , since I re-installed Windows I will try the test again.

Once it pass all the test then i will call Dell for system board replacement.

Thanks.

• IT IS THE VIDEO CARD!!! lol. My screen displayed the same thing - a bunch of thin vertical lines of white, green, blue and red but I heard windows start up in the background. I called tech support and they told me to do the BIOS thing and of course it didn't work. Just call them back and they'll replace the video card. End of story. I have to call them back and do the same. Good luck.