Dell Vostro 1000 - problem reinstalling the ATI Radeon 1150 driver...

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Vostro 1000 - problem reinstalling the ATI Radeon 1150 driver...

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have been helping a friend reinstall her laptop after some spyware/adware/virus related issues and everything is now basically setup except for the screen resolutions.  The graphics card driver is missing and the driver on the Dell drivers CD refuses to install with an error saying that the 'driver cannot be installed for the device adapter' (unfortunately that's not the EXACT message - I apologise for that but I'll find out the exact one).

It's behaving as if I am trying to install the wrong driver for the laptop, even though thats the only video driver that shows up on the drivers cd.

Anyway, I've asked her to download the latest version of the driver and to see if that makes any difference, has anyone else heard of similar problems?

It's a Vostro 1000 with an AMD64 Athlon X2 with Windows XP and (apparently - I can't actually confirm since Windows just states its a video adapter without stating which card it actually is) an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1150.

Any suggestions would be great!

All Replies
  • If you haven't installed the Dell notebook system software and chipset driver, that's why the video driver won't install.  Those must be in place before you load the video driver.

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Last night when I checked - the chipset software didn't have the tick indicating that it was installed, so I clicked on it to install it and was confronted by a box asking me if I wanted to uninstall it.  Is it possible that when the chipset software was installed it somehow went a bit wrong and needs reinstalling?

• Did you install the chipset drivers - either off the Dell CD (drivers/software on discs supplied with systems, is almost always outdated), or the Vostro 1100 'Drivers & Downloads' page?

Correct Driver Installation Order.

Latest ATI Catalyst XP Drivers for on-board ATI Radeon 1150.

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)