Dell XPS M1210 Video goes to very dim on battery power

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS M1210 Video goes to very dim on battery power

This question has suggested answer(s)

I am working on a Dell XPS M1210 laptop with a unique problem.  The battery charges fine.  The laptop works fine on AC power.  When the AC adaptor is unplugged, the screen immediately goes almost dim.  If you look at the screen, you can still see that Windows XP is working normally but it is like the screen has gone to its lowest setting possible.  I have lurked the forums for the past two hours reviewing a large number of threads that were similar to my problem.  I have already done the following:

1)  Checked Windows power and display / video driver settings.  These are normal and changing them has had no effect on the problem.

2)  Upgraded to the latest video driver.  No effect.

3)  Tried Speed-Step on / off.  No effect.

4)  Checked BIOS settings for Power.  On battery power, the screen brightness under bios is set to maximum.  Normally it should be 3 but in Bios it is set to the max which is either 9 or 10 (the entire bar is full).  Lowered screen brightness manually, then took it all the way back to 100%.  Saved bios settings and rebooted.  No effect.

5)  All MS updates have been done.

6)  Checks for virus / malware / spyware are all negative.

After lurking the forums and trying everything that I could find mentioned here, I decided to post this question because the original problem is apparently not responding to any of the suggestions / solutions that I've been able to read about and throw at it.  When you remove the AC plug, the screen will go to almost dim.  No amount of FUNCTION and Increase Brightness ("sun button") has any effect on the brightness at this point.  The only way to get the bright screen back is to plug in the AC adaptor and then switch to external CRT and back again to the video display.  The screen cycles and flashes and the bright normal Windows screen appears again.

Any ideas?

All Replies
  • Try this,Control Panel>Power Options>Left side of panel"Adjust the Display Brightness" click on it>You will now see 3 options,use the last option on this screen and move the slider all the way to the right for full brightness(both sliders).Now when the battery is removed the screen should stay bright.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• Do the sypmtoms change when you set your power scheme to "always on"?

• dgkpcon

Try this,Control Panel>Power Options>Left side of panel"Adjust the Display Brightness" click on it>You will now see 3 options,use the last option on this screen and move the slider all the way to the right for full brightness(both sliders).Now when the battery is removed the screen should stay bright.

Thank you for the quick response.  I've looked and looked for this setting after seeing it in threads that I lurked but I can't find it.  I'm using Windows XP.  When I go to CP, then Power Options, all my screen shows is:

Power Schemes / Alarms / Power Meter / Advanced / Hibernate

I do not see anything that says "Adjust the display brightness" let alone any slider bars.  I am logged on as an administrator of the machine right now so I don't think that rights are a problem to what I am seeing.  I've also looked under CP / Display and CP / NVIDIA Control Panel.  Nothing like this is displayed on my machine.

• DELL-Bill B

Do the sypmtoms change when you set your power scheme to "always on"?

Thanks.  Tried your suggestion.  No effect.

For reference, the video is NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400, 256mb.  Bios is V5.72.22.21.F5.  It is operating at 60hertz.

• For what it's worth, I have the same problem with an Inspiron 600m. The problem manifested itself after I reinstalled Win Xp due to hard drive issues. I did reinstall most drivers but it's possible I missed one.

Bob

• rheiney,

The driver for the display is a generic windows driver that loads automatically when detected(2006 driver that is).So there is no driver to miss for this.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

• That's too bad - because I have no idea why the LCD screen goes dark when on battery. I don't recall having this problem until I reinstalled Windows. I was hoping perhaps I missed a driver.

The machine works fine when on AC. I have yet to find a setting that changes the brightness on battery.

• I have an XPS M1330 and have the exact same problem  I cannot function without a bright screen so I am stuck with constantly being plugged in.  I have tried all of the same items you have listed to no avail.  However, this issue has been present since I first got the computer. If anyone has a solution please let us know.  thanks.

• Usually i don't read old posts but i saw your question posted from yesterday.

You can always hold the fn key and the up arrow down to increase the brightness,of course,you will have to do this every time you log onto windows on battery.

• My laptop has a program called Dell QuickSet and it give you an option for power management wizard. you can change the brightness of the monitor there. It will use more power but the screen brightness will not change when you unplug the AC if you select the maximum in the setup. Hope this helps

• I recently resolved this same problem with my Inspiron 1420.

Restart your computer and go into BIOS (Hit F2 on startup).

Scroll down to Video and hit enter. Here you can select the maximum brightness when on battery or on AC.

Select brightness for battery and use the arrow buttons on your keyboard to increase the amount of brightness when on battery.

Note: the specific terminology may be different since we may have different systems, but the idea and concepts will be the same

Hope this works!!

• You are awesome!  Thank you so much!

• It worked! Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of the bios adjustment!

CosmoKramer29

I recently resolved this same problem with my Inspiron 1420.

Restart your computer and go into BIOS (Hit F2 on startup).

Scroll down to Video and hit enter. Here you can select the maximum brightness when on battery or on AC.

Select brightness for battery and use the arrow buttons on your keyboard to increase the amount of brightness when on battery.

Note: the specific terminology may be different since we may have different systems, but the idea and concepts will be the same

Hope this works!!