dell inspiron 6400 tv s video woe plz hlp

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

dell inspiron 6400 tv s video woe plz hlp

• I have a dell inspiron 6400 and have paid for the cables to connect to the tv. i tried to go into bios but havent found the option for enabling tv input and have tried Fn+F8 to connect. in turn i get a message that sais "presentation mode: off no external monitor is attached" i run a intel 945GM. in the end im trying to connect from the s video to a vga cable. i have tried on 4 tvs as well as on a dvd player and a vcr but to no conclusion is there anyone who is able to offer some help.
  • I think you want to display the image from your Inspiron 6400 on a TV and I think that you have connected a cable to the S-video socket of the Inspiron 6400. Please advise the type of input that you want to use on the TV (Note: the easiest type of input to use on the TV is an S-video input). Please also advise details of the cable that you are trying to use.

This is how you enable the Display Settings for a TV.

Video Controller
      NOTE: To ensure that the display options appear correctly, connect the TV to the computer before you enable the display settings.
    1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Display and click the Settings tab.
    3. Click Advanced.
    4. Click the tab for your video card.
      NOTE: To determine the type of video card installed in your computer, see the Windows Help and Support Center. To access the Help and Support Center, click Start Help and Support. Under Pick a Task, click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems. Then, under My Computer Information, select Hardware.
    5. In the display devices section, select the appropriate option for using either a single display or multiple displays, ensuring that the display settings are correct for your selection.

John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
    4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
  • as you have stated yes i have connected the cables to the tv and tried that unfortunatly the only type of connector i can attach the computer to is a component cable (sry if i got it wrong was kinda tired)... and way of setting up the component cables so i can view the desktop on the tv i have already tried and unfortunatly it did not work.
  • You need a component video adapter cable that is compatible with your Inspiron 6400. The Dell S-video to TV-component cable at this link should be suitable, however if you order it you must confirm with Dell that it is compatible with the Inspiron 6400 as well as the XPS M1710 laptop.
    John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
    4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory