Dual External Monitors off single VGA port on Inspiron 1420 - Video - Laptop - Dell Community

Dual External Monitors off single VGA port on Inspiron 1420

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dual External Monitors off single VGA port on Inspiron 1420

• My goal is to connect 2 external monitors to my Inspiron 1420 laptop and close the lid, leaving the 2 external monitors as the only displays. This Inspiron has a nVidia GeForce 8400M GS video card.

Now, this was my goal before my company even ordered my laptop, so naturally, I contacted Dell support and confirmed with them (TWICE) that this particular video card in this laptop supports TWO external monitors, each w/ their own screen (no cloning). Both times the Dell reps assured me this was possible but I'd have to use a VGA splitter.

Low and behold, after getting everything hooked up, I can only get the 2 external monitors to clone each other. Even w/ the lid on the laptop closed, the monitors connected via the VGA splitter are cloned. So I contacted Dell support to inquire about how to actually do what they claim is possible. Unfortunately, that information I would need to pay for because it is considered Advanced Support - weaksauce.

Can anyone provide any info on getting this to work? Perhaps I have a dongle/splitter that isn't supported? Or perhaps its a software config issue.

Dell Inspiron 1420

nVidia GeForce 8400M GS

Vista Ultimate 

Many thanks.

• Internal + external with different displays;  you cannot have to externals with different displays on this model.

• That's awesome - apparently Dell support has no idea what they are talking about then. On two different occasions I was told this was possible. Looks like this laptop will be getting returned ASAP.
  • Hooking two monitors with unique displays off one VGA port is not possible under any circumstance.

You will require multiple outputs. These are only found on:

1) Desktops

2) Laptops with a Quadro NVS card which specifically indicates multiple outputs

Quadro NVS cards are usually found on workstation laptops, or business laptops. You won't find them on any consumer-range laptop.