Ghosting/Fuzziness on SP2008WFP 20 Widescreen LCD Monitor via VGA input...

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Ghosting/Fuzziness on SP2008WFP 20 Widescreen LCD Monitor via VGA input...

• Setup: Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop ----->VGA-OUT----->Monitor VGA-IN This is really dissapointing, as I see no way to fix this. However, let me specify what I mean by ghosting - I'm referring to the effect that occurs on a TV when using an analog signal (most likely coaxial) where a fainter "ghost" of an image is seen slightly next to the real image. At first I thought this was just with text, making everything from tabs in Firefox to online articles to what I'm typing now difficult and straining to read, but apparently the entire image displayed on the screen is like this. To give you an idea of what I'm dealing with, any wallpaper I set to my desktop looks like it was saved into the JPEG format with terrible, terrible compression. Other images in general look just as bad. To make thing's worse, I'm not really sure what's the source of the problem. I have my PS3 hooked up to the monitor via HDMI to DVI-D and it looks terrific. The image is clear and crisp and there isn't any sign of ghosting with text or images. Another worrying tibdit is that I purchased an LG monitor a few months ago, used the same connection from my laptop, and the image was fine (better, actually, but too bad their Dynamic Contrast is wonky and I had two defective models in a row). So is it my laptop, the monitor, monitor's VGA input, or the VGA cable I was provided that's giving me this problem? Any suggestions?
  • echoelman,

The Inspiron 6400 resolution should be set to 1680X1050 at 60Hz which is optimal for the SP2008WFP. Test using that resolution.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• I have had the monitor set at 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz. I'll also note that I've tried setting the monitor as the primary, single display to see if it would make a difference. I've tried adjusting the Phase and Pixel Clock to no avail. I have installed the drivers, checked the connection between VGA cables, and even tested the monitor in different temperature settings. Did factory resets, "LCD Conditioning", turned off/on the dynamic contrast and response time functions... The only thing I can think of is that this is a problem with the VGA connection because the monitor's on-screen display doesn't suffer from this effect and DVI seems to work fine. I'm just unsure of whether or not this is the fault of the VGA-OUT on my laptop, the cord, or the VGA-IN on the monitor... But thank you for the help.
  • echoelman,

Find another PC to check the monitor on.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Okay. So I tested the monitor in 3 new scenarios: 1. Used a friend's laptop as the output, using VGA cord that came with the monitor. 2. Used a friends's laptop as the output, using his VGA cord instead 3. Used my laptop with my friend's VGA cord instead. From what we both saw, it seemed that the image was possibly better when outputted from my friend's laptop, regardless of the cable, but the effect was still noticeable in reading text. So at this point it's quite possibly a combination of both VGA's on the laptop and the monitor, which means it's probably just an issue with analog signals. Is there any way I can just buy an adapter and use the DVI cable that came with the monitor instead? Thanks for all of the help!
  • I hate to bump the topic, but is there anything I can do for this monitor? I really don't want to send it back, but what may seem to be a minor issue is much more annoying in person.
  • the monitor is most likely fine, it's the laptop's vga output that stinks. I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.