Monitor turns green or red

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Monitor turns green or red

• This problem began two days ago.  I was using my Inspiron 6000, typing something I think, and suddenly the screen turned green.  At first I thought that someone had sent me something over MSN, such as a wink, but then I realized that my MSN program wasn't turned on.  It was very strange, because the entire screen had turned a light green color.  I tried to make the green go away, but I couldn't see anything else on my screen.  I tried hitting the standard ctrl+alt+delete, esc, etc keys, but nothing worked.  Finally it came to the point where I had to hold the power button in to restart the computer.

Now this evening, about an hour ago, I was reading an artcile on MSN and suddenly the screen went red.  Again, no matter what keys I pressed, I couldn't get the light-red screen to go away.  I again had to restart my computer.  I don't have any programs running that would cause this, and I haven't installed anything new recently.  I don't have a screensaver running, since I have my monitor set to turn off instead of displaying a screensaver.

Does anyone know what could be causing my monitor to turn these colors?
  • Could be a cable fault, video/mainboard fault, or panel fault. Does the same defect show up on an external monitor?
  • I'm not sure since I don't use an external monitor for my laptop.  Is there any other way to narrow down the cause of the problem?