bad video card or bad motherboard on inspiron 8500?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

bad video card or bad motherboard on inspiron 8500?

• I have an Inspiron 8500 with an Nvidia GeForce 4200 Go video card installed. The the video stopped working the otherday. How do I determine if the problem is a bad video card or bad motherbooard. Here is what happens. When I power on the computer the screen flashes a bit with verticle bands of lines at different parts of the screen. After a minute or so it eventually fades to white. occasionally when I power it up I will see the Dell splash screen but there is a flickering and garbling of the image. When I move the mouse pointer, it will also start the flickering and garbling.

The screen that asks me if i want to start the computer in safemode or normally appears. If I select safemode, I will eventually get the desktop but there still is garbling and flickering, more if I move the pointer. When I start the computer normally however, the computer will ultimately freeze before the desktop is loaded and then the screen will fade to white.

I hooked up the computer to an external monitor and the problem is also there. The only difference is that it seems is that the dell spash screen appears more often although still garbled and flickering as it is when I am able to get it to appear on the laptop's LCD panel. Also, When I do start in safemode I am able to get the desktop to appear on the external monitor however when i try to start windows normally the monitor will lose the video signal and the computer again freezes.

Note the differnce between starting in normal mode using the external monitor and the lcd panel. they both ultimately freeze but the external monitor loses its signal and the LCD panel faded to white.

So, I am confident that this is not a bad LCd Panel. I believe that it is most likely a bad video card, But i want to be certain before I spend the money on the card. Can someone let me know how to exclude the motherboard as the problem. Thank you.

Oh, lastly is there a connector addapter that is available that will let you connect the LCD panel to a video source  to use it a a monitor for a computer or other video source. thanks again.
  • If the system boots properly and the video is a problem internally and externally, you have a bad video card.

• thebreadboy wrote:
    I have an Inspiron 8500 with an Nvidia GeForce 4200 Go video card installed. The the video stopped working the otherday. How do I determine if the problem is a bad video card or bad motherbooard. Here is what happens. When I power on the computer the screen flashes a bit with verticle bands of lines at different parts of the screen. After a minute or so it eventually fades to white. occasionally when I power it up I will see the Dell splash screen but there is a flickering and garbling of the image. When I move the mouse pointer, it will also start the flickering and garbling.
    The screen that asks me if i want to start the computer in safemode or normally appears. If I select safemode, I will eventually get the desktop but there still is garbling and flickering, more if I move the pointer. When I start the computer normally however, the computer will ultimately freeze before the desktop is loaded and then the screen will fade to white.
    I hooked up the computer to an external monitor and the problem is also there. The only difference is that it seems is that the dell spash screen appears more often although still garbled and flickering as it is when I am able to get it to appear on the laptop's LCD panel. Also, When I do start in safemode I am able to get the desktop to appear on the external monitor however when i try to start windows normally the monitor will lose the video signal and the computer again freezes.
    Note the differnce between starting in normal mode using the external monitor and the lcd panel. they both ultimately freeze but the external monitor loses its signal and the LCD panel faded to white.
    So, I am confident that this is not a bad LCd Panel. I believe that it is most likely a bad video card, But i want to be certain before I spend the money on the card. Can someone let me know how to exclude the motherboard as the problem. Thank you.
    Oh, lastly is there a connector addapter that is available that will let you connect the LCD panel to a video source to use it a a monitor for a computer or other video source. thanks again.

Hi, I have the same problem with other inspiron 8500 with a Nvidia GForce 4200 Go. I'm not sure if its the motherboard, the video addapter o the display, i just figured than changing the resolutions to 1280 x 768 and disable the Enable write combining in Display Properties/Advance/Troubleshoot all apears to be O.K., any change to this combination and the problem appears again. The cost of changing the video adapter is almost $ 250.00, so I don't want to purchase it and realize than the problem were the display or the motherboard.
  • Hi,

I have since resolved my problem. It was the video card and it was the memory on the video card that caused the problem. This is a very easy fix if you feel comfortable opening up your laptop. there is a very good website that shows step by step how to install a video card in your laptop. Go to www.bay-wolf.com

And by the way you should not havfe to spend that kind of money on a replacement video card. Check ebay, even dell sells refurbished 4200's, there is also a great website I found that has all sorts of parts for dells. Go to www.parts-people.com. I saw 4200's on there website as well.

i
  • Hi,

I have since resolved my problem. It was the video card and it was the memory on the video card that caused the problem. This is a very easy fix if you feel comfortable opening up your laptop. there is a very good website that shows step by step how to install a video card in your laptop. Go to www.bay-wolf.com

And by the way you should not havfe to spend that kind of money on a replacement video card. Check ebay, even dell sells refurbished 4200's, there is also a great website I found that has all sorts of parts for dells. Go to www.parts-people.com. I saw 4200's on there website as well.

i WAS
  • BY THE WAY, my problem was with video memory and my card did not work at all. There should be a diagnostic partition on your inspiron that you can run tests on the video memory. that test confirmed that i had bad video memory.