Inspiron screen turns off randomly

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron screen turns off randomly

• I've had the Inspiron 6000 for only a few months. Sometimes, the screen will turn off randomly and display me a green, purple/pink, or black color. This has happened at least five times since the purchase. I resolve the problem by pressing the power button so it goes into standby, and then once more to take it out of standby. The screen looks fine and everything is displaying properly, after this. I'm pretty sure the screen does not dim because I can't see the desktop at all(so it is probably not the backlight.) I have not had the chance to hook it up to an external monitor (but will next time.)

I don't have Utility Partition because I installed my own Windows XP, but I've ran a diagnostics test and everything passed.

Is anyone having the same problem or knows what is wrong? Three choices are: windows, video card, or LCD.
  • Attach an external monitor - does it work OK?
  • Will do that when it turns off again but since it is a random occurance, sometimes I don't have cables or the external monitor to hook up to. I just thought that perhaps someone has experienced the problem and knew what it could be.
  • DD, resource cd diagostic test may not identify the problem firmly.

check with external montior for sure. and restart it serveal times for testing.

I once encoutered this problem. it 'bout display card problem.

yours,
  • I bought a 700m last week. I have experienced the same problem a number of times. I have no idea whats happening going to talk to Dell support tomorrow.
  • I've tried hooking it up to an external monitor (which also happens to be a Dell LCD) but the external LCD doesn't get the signal when Fn and F8 are pressed. MY Laptop screen, however, comes back on. So, basically, you can get the screen to come back on by either pressing power button twice or pressing Fn and F8. Another scenario: pressing the power button on and off when the LCD is hooked up to an external monitor allows the Windows screen to be displayed on both the LCD and the external monitor.

We're thinking this is a video card or video card drivers problem. Obviously, the backlight is not an issue. Seems like hooking the laptop to an external monitor didn't really narrow down the possible problems because my laptop, apparently, only sends signals to external monitors whenever it feels like it. Opinions? Different experiences?

Message Edited by Niblick05 on 11-29-2005 01:47 AM

• Niblick05 wrote:
    I've tried hooking it up to an external monitor (which also happens to be a Dell LCD) but the external LCD doesn't get the signal when Fn and F8 are pressed. MY Laptop screen, however, comes back on. So, basically, you can get the screen to come back on by either pressing power button twice or pressing Fn and F8. Another scenario: pressing the power button on and off when the LCD is hooked up to an external monitor allows the Windows screen to be displayed on both the LCD and the external monitor.

We're thinking this is a video card or video card drivers problem. Obviously, the backlight is not an issue. Seems like hooking the laptop to an external monitor didn't really narrow down the possible problems because my laptop, apparently, only sends signals to external monitors whenever it feels like it. Opinions? Different experiences?

Message Edited by Niblick05 on 11-29-2005 01:47 AM

I guess Fn does work fine. ALl u have to adjust with right video driver correctly by Intel or Geforce ( not sure the model is). and Ajust the priority of display.
  • Hi!  I am having a related, if not exactly the same, problem.  After my Inspiron 6000 has been in standby (when the screen naturally goes black, and should), about 30-40% of the times I try to start it again, either by opening it up (if it's been closed) or hitting a key/the power button (if it's been open), it sounds like the fan starts running, and the wifi light is on, but I get no reaction from the screen, and my only option seems to hold the power button in until it turns off, and then do a total reboot.

I've tried the Fn 8 thing, but it gives no reaction.  Any other tips?

Thanks,
    BJ