Please help, if you have the Inspiron 6000 with WSXGA+ LCD screen!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Please help, if you have the Inspiron 6000 with WSXGA+ LCD screen!

• I have spent countless hours trying to find an appropriate configuration mix for the text size, dpi, and screen resolution settings. Native resolution is 1680 x 1050, but the only bearable setting I've found is 1280 x 800 with a custom dpi of 144 (150% of normal size!). I'd rather have more content on the screen but as I approach native resolution, the text is too blurry too read. Everyone says to use native resolution, but it is impossible w/ this system, if I want to use for the internet, etc.

Does anyone have the i6000 with the WSXGA+ LCD panel? If so, could you confirm the following:
    - Screen resolution size
    - DPI settings (96, 120, customized number, etc.)
    - Font size under the display properties

Also, I wonder if I need to change the aspect ratio. Dell recommends 16:9 within one of their docs, but I can't find what my current setting is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Since they replaced my 3-year old i8100 with this i6000 (free of charge!), I did not get to select the LCD panel that I wanted, and I think it is too late to exchange it for another option.

Dell Inspiron 6000
    15.4" widescreen SXGA+ LCD panel (made by LG)
    Pentium M (1.5 ghz)
    64MB video card - ATI Mobility x300
  • Good aft

The display looks crystal clear at its native WSXGA+ res of 1680x1050 with the DPI set to 96.  I went i first got mine out of the box, it was set to 100 or 120 making everything look very blurry.  Reset your setting to 96 and reboot your machine.  All will be well.

Cheers

• did you ever resolve this issue?

I just got a 6000 with an SXGA+ screen.

Great resolution but everything appears tiny. Most websites are too small to read comfortably (even at a higher DPI), and I have good eyesight. For example, the CNN home page fills-up approx. 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen horizontally

Please let me know if you found a solution to this problem

• My Solution -- I have the MS Digital media Pro Keyboard -- which has a zoom function slider built into the left side of the keyboard.

It will enlarge all of the text proportionally -- AND CLEARLY I might add. It does not enlarge the pictures -- just the text -- on web pages.

The KB can be found for about 20 bucks after rebate.

• somisomi wrote:

did you ever resolve this issue?

I just got a 6000 with an SXGA+ screen.

Great resolution but everything appears tiny. Most websites are too small to read comfortably (even at a higher DPI), and I have good eyesight. For example, the CNN home page fills-up approx. 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen horizontally

Please let me know if you found a solution to this problem

1.Open internet explorer click view then put your pointer on text size make sure largest is selected.You can also change text size when you have a web page open pressCtrl and use the mousewheel up or down.
    2.Try changing your font size to large or largest to do this Right click a empty space on your desktop click properties then the appearence tab select large or largest.
    Best Wishes.

Inspiron XPS Gen 2
    770 (2.13 GHz/2MB Cache/533 MHz Fsb
    6800 ultra
    2 GIG's Ram
    17 "(1920 x1200) WUXGA Display (sec5557 Samsung)
    OS Windows XP Pro sp2
    Logitech MX 750 Cordless Mouse
    Nostromo n52 Game pad

Desktop

Alienware Area 51ALX  BLK

CPU ii960 Windoes 7 64 bit

2XHD5870 Crossfire 12 Gigs Ram

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

XPS1710 7900 GTX  CPU 2.0  200 Gig HD 4 Gigs Ram  350 Bluetooth 3945 ABG CD/DVD Burner Windows XP Pro with Docking station and creative PCMCIA sound card with the dock option

• I have the same problem that somisomi had, and I have tried setting the dpi back to 96 while keeping the native resolution. This did not solve the problem for me. The keyboard sounds like a good option, except that I prefer to just use the laptop keypad and not have to continually plug things in.

Thanks for all of your help, and sorry for the delay in my update, as I've been focused on a lot of job interviews. I'll repost if I find a solution or workaround. For the time being, I'm just using a lower resolution (1280 x 800). I don't play games much, so this seems to work ok for now.

Thanks again