Dell Inspiron N4010 won't boot up. Dell Logo comes up and after that just a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron N4010 won't boot up. Dell Logo comes up and after that just a black screen with a blinking cursor.

This question is not answered

I have a dell inspiron n4010 that will not boot past the dell logo screen. I have no f8 options (i tried using a different keyboard as well). I have literally tried everything  and nothing works. I've ran all the diagnostics that I can and it won't start up. Nothing helps. I've done my research and they say to either try a Windows Vista disk or a factory restore disk? Will any of the help? What do I do???

All Replies
  • Hi trtodd98,

Try the following steps and see it helps.

Open the computer and re-seat the hard drive connector and check if the system is able to boot into BIOS (Tap F2 on start up).

If the above step do not help, then remove the hard drive from the computer and try to boot into BIOS. Then perform BIOS defaults. Please refer to the Service Manual. Please ensure to follow safety instructions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• I removed the hard drive and tried booting into BIOS and nothing happens. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? How exactly do you boot into BIOS? Thanks! 

• Hi trtodd98,

Here are the steps to boot into BIOS:

-Power off the computer.
    -Restart the computer and start tapping 'F2' key on the Dell logo.
    -This will take you to the BIOS screen.

Please share the findings.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• I saw your post when the same thing happened to me and I googled "Dell Inspiron N4010 won't boot". In my case, Windows had not shut down completely. I had shut the laptop and when I tried to turn it on, it got stuck without booting all the way. I turned off, then on, and because of some of the answers shown here, pressed F2 repeatedly. I did this several times, off and back on, and eventually got a blue screen saying "Shutting down." When it did its thing, I didn't have any more problems.