Studio XPS 1645 ATI Radeon HD 5730 - Time for an update?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Studio XPS 1645 ATI Radeon HD 5730 - Time for an update?

This question has suggested answer(s)

It has been a year since we had an update to our video card. ATI released new drivers for this chip i'm sure. This graphics card is decent, even now and has alot of life left in it, along with the machine. How about an update?

All Replies
  • Sorry for the triple posts. I finally figured how to get it to work. Hopefully the next steps will be able to accurately explain my process for updating this stupid ATI card.

1. Uninstall your current video graphics driver. Control Panel > Uninstall Programs > AMD Catalyst Install Manager

2. Reboot.

3. Install DriverSweeper, Run it and CLEAN all AMD Display settings.

4. Reboot.

5. From Dell's Support Drivers and Downloads website, install the original manufacturer's display driver. I believe it is ATI 10.7.

6. Reboot

7. Download and run the latest installer for ATI 11.11 (Note: It HAS to be these download links, DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM AMD)

- If you have 32-bit: http://adf.ly/3kP8g

- If you have 64-bit: http://adf.ly/3kPUA

8. Reboot for the last time.

If everything installed correctly, check that you have version 8.911.1.0 installed. In your start menu, type "dxdiag", and click on your display tab which is the 2nd tab. There you will see your current video drivers installed.

The old driver from dell is 8.692.1.0

The latest in this install should be 8.911.1.0

Please let me know if this works for anyone else.

• Thanks heaps!!!! Followed instructions to the letter and works perfectly!!!!  (dell studio xps 1645 win 7 64bit)

• Same =/..  

• I meant to say i followed the Hardwareheaven guide exactly and it DOES work. 

• Guess we have to wait for an update...

• Follow the exact steps found here en.community.dell.com/.../20005586.aspx

I just got BF 3 working!!!

• Nevermind I just got it working!!! You're the man timothyxps

• I also was able to install the 11.11 ATI driver over the Dell driver (after many hours ...) from this site:

support.amd.com/.../Catalyst1111aperformance.aspx

Now, BF3 works (finally!) on my Dell XPS 1645 - ATI Radeon Mobility 5730 video card - Windows 7 64-bit

Dell needs to get on top of this if they claim that users can get the latest graphic drivers from the Dell Support website (which are extremely outdated)  

• Thanks for posting, since your post got me on the right direction.

I am now able to run BF3 on my Dell XPS 1645 ATI Mobility Radeon 5730 Windows 7 64-bit system.  

However, I needed to install the 11.11 driver from:

support.amd.com/.../Catalyst1111aperformance.aspx

After installing this driver and restarting my computer, I was able to successfully run BF3 on my Dell laptop (after many hours ...) but at least I can now play the game.  

Seems this driver (11.11) has fixes for all 3 of my games - BF3, Batman, and Skyrim.  Good Luck!

• Cannot update driver from Dell website. Goes through the motions but doesn't update driver.

Must do from AMD website:  support.amd.com/.../Catalyst1111aperformance.aspx

This software uninstalled and reinstalled 11.11 driver.  After installation, DXDIAG finally reads 11.11 ...

•  My mobo seems to have the ATI 4670 glued on four corners into it. I sure would like to replace it with a Radeon HD 5730. Is there a way to get this chip off, or will I break something in trying?