Dell 1558 crashes when i'm playing videos at internet.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell 1558 crashes when i'm playing videos at internet.

This question is not answered

Hi,

When i play videos at the internet, for exaple youtube, my laptop crashes completly. The only thing i can do is reboot. This problem started when i bought this laptop, first it only was in google chrome so i used internet explorer, but now in ie too. Can someone help me with this annoying problem?

Greets.

All Replies
  • upgrade to the latest Adobe Flash player

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I have done that but it doesn't work, but thank you for suggestion.

• There are still issues with 64 bit browsers working with flash.  If you are using a 64 bit browser swap to a 32 bit version and see if the problem rights itself.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_6243E812C78B358AE040AE0AB8E1771B&isLegacy=true

If you are using a 32 bit browser and the problem still happens, turn off hardware acceleration in Flash and then try viewing a movie.  The following link gives a basic troubleshooting guide for Flash.  Here is a portion of the guide.

If I have display problems with Flash Player, what should I do?

If you have display problems with Flash Player, such as poor picture quality or slow display times, deselect Enable Hardware Acceleration in the Display panel. This should eliminate hardware or driver compatibility problems with Flash Player. Flash Player then uses software to scale and display the content.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

If this fails to help, test the system in other places,  play a DVD and see if it crashes during a movie.  Put in a 3D game and see if the problems continue.  Just to make sure that this isn't just a problem with the web or with Flash.

If the problem is only with web based movie viewing then I suggest disabling the antivirus as a test ( I don't suggest at all leaving the AV disabled. Only long enough to see if it may be causing the problem)  and see if the problem continues. 

How long has this been going on, if it has just started recently you may wish to try a system restore using a restore point saved before you noticed the problem.  For more on system restore please view the following link.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362029&isLegacy=true

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

(Liaison for Laptops, Mobile Devices)
    Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Terry, this is a common issue with this machine.  There are numerous threads here on the Dell forums and on independent sites documenting the AMD video driver problems in the Studio laptop configurations, but it seems that Dell doesn't acknowledge the problem.  I will be talking to support as well as making a formal complaint to Costco, where I purchased my laptop, and I hope Dell will make it right in replacing this lemon.  I find it interesting that Dell has yanked the entire Studio line of machines, though it was only available for a short time.

All attempts to keep the BIOS and graphics drivers updated have failed.  This lemon crashes whether I'm browsing a Flash site, Youtube or even watching an AVI file offline.  It's terrible.  My 11 month old laptop has had more blue screens of death and crashes than my still working 6 year old Inspiron. 

I'm so sad to say, if Dell cannot make this right, they have lost a customer for life.  This was my fourth Dell and I think it's also my last.

•  I am also facing the same problem.I have contacted the dell support technician and he worked for around 3 hours online on my machine trying out  various things(reinstalling bios and ati drivers, restoring to factory version ...).But nothing worked.At last the technician told that there may be problems with the hardware and they wil repacing the same within 3 days....Hoping that everything may fine after hardware replacement....

• I've had my XPS 15", 501 laptop crash three times now in Windows 7 while watching a string of youtube movies. It ain't pretty. Suddenly the screen goes black and the sound screeches like the laptop is going to explode. I have to hold and depress the power button to shut it down. Luckily it still restarts normally.

I'm going to try and replicate the problem in Linux to see if it really is a problem with flash on a 64 bit OS