Studio 1555 on Win7 showing smudged images

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Studio 1555 on Win7 showing smudged images

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi

I have got my win7 studio1555 laptop today and the screen is showing smudged images.

I have tried looking for new drivers but cant' find any.

I am attaching the image to show what i am fasing.

I am not having this trouble all the time, but out of the 4 hours since i had this laptop i have seen this for last2.

Is this a case of bad hardware? coz i cant find any new drivers. should i ask for a replacement laptop?

is any one else too facing this.

thanks for looking

All Replies
  • I've been having a similar issue with my Studio 1537 since I upgraded to Windows 7. Do you have an Intel GMA 4500?

It usually happens to me when I'm doing something graphically intensive like running a video or I have multiple programs open at once. I'm hoping that there's going to be some new drivers to fix the problem, but for now, I can usually fix the problem by turning off Aero for a second and then turning it back on.

• I am having the same problem with my new Studio 15 with the Intel GMA 4500MHD video card running Windows 7.  Any suggestions for fixing this would be appreciated.  Telephone support with Dell has been totally useless and frustrating so far.  Have seen other posts with this problem talking about installing new drivers.  Thanks

• I installed the most recent driver for windows vista (you have to run the install program in compatibility mode), and I haven't seen graphical artifacts since (it's been about a day and a half). You could try that until Dell releases another driver.

• I did it, and it works!

• OMG, this post is a life saver, it finally resolved my nightmare with this video distortion issue Yes

I have sent in my laptop TWICE to the depot guys and they cannot figure out what the problem was, and the CSRs have NO idea how to fix this.  Turns out I will have to fix it myself (with this simple resolution)

Dell Laptops

• Dell XPS M1530
    • Dell Studio 15
  • could you help me a bit with how you installed the driver, i have been having the graphic "smudging"  and just recently upgraded to windows 7.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

• Flutterbye,

1. Go to support.dell.com and click Drivers and Downloads.

2. Find your computer model either with the service tag or selecting it from a list.

3. For Operating System, select Windows Vista (either 32 bit or 64 bit depending on what version of Windows 7 you have).

4. For Category, select "Video."

5. Click Intel Driver. (There might be more than one. You probably want Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD.) You'll start downloading a .exe file.

6. Open the .exe file. It will unzip some files in your c:/Dell/Drivers folder, then it will try to run the installer. That won't work though. You'll get an error that says the operating system is not supported. The installer needs to be run in compatbility mode.

7. Go to the folder the files unzipped to and open setup.exe. You'll get an error message again, but then Windows will ask you if you want to install in compatibility mode. Click yes and go through the installer process. You'll have to restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

• The other option that worked for me on the E4300 is to turn off virtualization support.  I can run Aero fine with it off.  You have to turn it off in the BIOS.