Problem with Dell Webcam Central software and integrated webcam (Inspiron 15)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problem with Dell Webcam Central software and integrated webcam (Inspiron 15)

This question has suggested answer(s)

I bought an Inspiron 15 last week. Great laptop. It came with an integrated 1.3 megapixel webcam, managed by a program called "Dell Webcam Central".

Program worked perfectly OK, until I downloaded an update from Windows Update, labeled as "important", which is new drivers for the webcam.

These new drivers doesnt affect the camera performace, it works perfectly with MSN messanger, but, Dell Webcam Central says there's no webcam attached to the computer?

I had to remove those drivers, and remove the Dell Webcam software copletely, then download drivers from Dell, and reinstall the webcam suite, problem solved.

Thing is, Windows Update is prompting me to download those drivers again, labeling them as an important update. Of course I don't want to go tru all that problem again.

If I accept that update again, is there a way to "re-attach" the webcam to the Dell software, without having to uninstall and reinstall everything again? Thanks a lot in advance. Smile

All Replies
  • I have the same problem with my Inspiron 1525 I got a week ago...after the update....webcam central tells me to plug in a supported webcam when I have one built in. I too would like to get this fixed without having to roll back or ignore the important updates. If anyone has a fix, it would be greatly appreciated.

• I hope my webcam at inspiron 1464 core i3 working too, but no driver support from dell support center. it will be nice if we have cd driver bundled with laptop when we buy. but theres no driver for dell n series.

anyone h\who know driver for my laptop, please reply

CryingCrying

• I recently had the same problem, I would try to use my webcam and after a few minutes it would tell me to plug in a supported device. Here is the simple solution to solve the problem. UNINSTALL Microsoft Silverlight!! This is what interferes with the Dell Drivers and the Webcam functioning properly.

This was in one of the Windows updates, and I like another poster did, downloaded it and my webcam wouldn't work properly. I was not given an option to roll back the drivers as Dell suggested, so I did a little research on my system and found that Microsoft Silverlight is what was causing my issue.

Once I uninstalled Silverlight and re-downloaded the Dell drivers my webcam has worked fine since.

• I also have that type of laptop, but my problem appeared after i installed the integrated webcam.It won;t open individualy, it only runs when i open YM. And i don;t know why, because that way i can't snap photos or make a video... Do you think you can help me with an opinion? That would be nice!

Thanks in advance!

• i have an Inspiron n5010 and the webcam central worked properly for a while...and now it it gives me an error message saying "your webcam may be used by another application.close the application to start video streaming." funny thing is i'm not using the camera...any idea?

• I can no more get the software for my dell inspiron N1710 laptop webcam after doing reinstallation of the window 7 and other drivers which I just bought for about four months now.

• Plz if u find the solution tell it to me.

• HELP!   I'm so new at this,I was playing around and lost my web cam, please tell me how to get it back,  I know so little so you'll have to 1 2 3 me, would you help?

• hello my name is aida i have a dell laptop inspiron but i have some problem with my webcam. every time i try to use the cam it ask me to plug the USB .please help me with it  because i realy need it bye n thank you

• pategato

I bought an Inspiron 15 last week. Great laptop. It came with an integrated 1.3 megapixel webcam, managed by a program called "Dell Webcam Central".

Program worked perfectly OK, until I downloaded an update from Windows Update, labeled as "important", which is new drivers for the webcam.

These new drivers doesnt affect the camera performace, it works perfectly with MSN messanger, but, Dell Webcam Central says there's no webcam attached to the computer?

I had to remove those drivers, and remove the Dell Webcam software copletely, then download drivers from Dell, and reinstall the webcam suite, problem solved.

Thing is, Windows Update is prompting me to download those drivers again, labeling them as an important update. Of course I don't want to go tru all that problem again.

If I accept that update again, is there a way to "re-attach" the webcam to the Dell software, without having to uninstall and reinstall everything again? Thanks a lot in advance. Smile

pategato

• I have the same issue on my daughters out of warranty laptop - which update did you remove.

All Dell wants to do is sell me a $200 warranty extension. 

Tom

• The same thing happened to me, and I had read through all of these replies to see if there was a solution to the problem. I was able to plug in a removable disc for a quick fix, but eventually even that would stop working. Even when it did work, I could not move the computer whatsoever or it would shut off and say the cable wasn't plugged in. After MUCH time and effort and going back and forth with Dell (trying every possible option) they finally were able to fix it simply by sending a technician to replace the mother board, cable, and camera. Working just like new! DO NOT let them reimage your computer, because that isn't the issue, just a connection issue so replacing those previously mentioned will keep all of your files. Hope this helps!!!

• EVERYONE,

Try running the Webcam Diagnostics and report back any error messages.

Thank you.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• Help, please. I need a dell webcam center and drivers for webcam for dell inspiron 15r n5110!!

• Where do I go to uninstall these drivers? Dell Support is being absolutely useless on this matter right now,