inspiron 1545 integrated webcam not working

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

inspiron 1545 integrated webcam not working

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hallo. I have a brand new Inspiron 1545 and the integrated webcam is not working - I deinstalled and reinstalled the drivers and Web Cam Central and it worked, but every tima only for few Minutes and by new start, no chance! Has somebody found the solution? Thanks!

Savoirfaire

All Replies
  • THIS MAY HELP:

My laptop got repaired some days ago & when it came back I  found that it said "plug in webcam" ALL I did to solve this was plug in a USB mouse. it makes the doo doo noise and the webcam instantly connects. hope this has helped. try it out. MollyBig Smile

• what every1 seems to forget is that we all bought these comps in good faith that dell would back up thier pruduct thay are using low grade equipment that is defective. we should not have to deal with these problems. I've been in contact with dell several times and they know how to fix this problem but they will not post it on thier web site it is another way to get money from us (after we spent money on thier product in the first place) we spend time to fix thier messups I'm contacting the better business bureau I suggest you all do the same.dell should support their computers that they sell. this webcam problem is a widespread problem that dell refuses to help us with and as custamers we haveto do something about it LETS MAKE THEM HELP US CALL THEM THEN CALL BBB

• I was having the same problem.  Read someone talk abou their wireless mouse being the problem and thought it couldn't be that simple.  Sure enough, unplugged the USB for my wireless mouse from the computer and whamo!  Webcam started working again.  Don't know if it will work for everyone, but it worked for me.  Hope I can help atleast one person.  Big Smile

• I gree, Dell sold a hardware with unsupported software, is that legal?

Thank you so much for clarifying your concern. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding, we have been having problems with our mailbox routing software which resulted in your mail being routed to the wrong mailbox. It has only just been passed back to the correct mailbox.

I have checked your system as well as the drivers available for your system and unfortunately, DELL doesn't have a Windows 7 64-bit webcam driver. The only drivers that are available this time are Windows XP and Vista. Unfortunately, we are unable to give a date for the updated driver for the system. I recommend that you regularly check the drivers online by visit support.euro.dell.com.

As for the replacement webcam driver that you have found, unfortunately DELL is unable to confirm if this will work nor advising customer to use the driver. DELL will not be responsible if you have used unauthorized or 3rd party drivers.

Again, I apologize if we are unable to supply you the driver at this time.

Kind Regards,
    Gian
    UKI/SA Relationship Client Mailbox Team

Shift time: 05:00 AM to 02:00 PM GMT
    Work Days: Monday through Friday

For Technical support:-
    t: 0844 338 1200 (UK)
    t: 1850 543 543 (Ireland)
    t: 011-709-7710 / 0860 103 017 (SA)
    w: http://support.euro.dell.com

• i hope you get this...i tried what you said above and it didn't work for me. i don't understand this. i know i have a webcam. i have the webcam central folders. if i double-click on the microsoft silverlight configuration which brings up a 6 tab pop-up. under the webcam/mic tab i can see myself...so the webcam works. however, i can not find a program anywhere that i can open and use my webcam as a camera if wanted...

can anyone help me?

i am not going to lie; i am immensely displeased with dell! my laptop (inspiron 1545) is less than a year old and i've already had to replace the hard drive; had password issues, so talked to dell cust. svc. and i'm still waiting on a microsoft CD to arrive (shipped 2 weeks ago supposedly; also i should have had this disk already but they failed to give it to me with the laptop); and now i can't find/utilize the webcam on my laptop...i am just about to the point where i'm ready to try apple/mac!

again, i greatly appreciate any help!

Confused

• Make a system restore point in case this doesn't work.

Let's try this and see if it works.

Go to

Start, control panel, programs and features. Look for Dell Webcam Central, and uninstall it.  

Go to C:\Program Files\ look for the Dell Webcam Central folder and delete it.

Go to Temp Folder (C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Temp\), delete everything in this folder.

Restart your computer.

Download and install Dell Webcam Central

Go to start, control panel, device manager. Do you see any yellow exclaimination marks or red x's? If so, right click on them, uninstall, then restart your computer. Since the new drivers should be there, the new hardware wizard should find the device and install it.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Let's try this...

First download the Dell Webcam Central Image and burn the image to a DVD, I would use DVD -R disks.

Go to start, programs and features and uninstall Dell Webcam Central, if it's there.

Go to...

C:\Program Files

Look for Dell Webcam Central Folder. If it's there, then delete it.

64-bit users Also go to...

C:\Program Files (x86)

Look for Dell Webcam Central Folder. If it's there, then delete it.

Restart your computer.

Insert the Dell Webcam Central disk and install using the instructions below.

When installing Dell Webcam Central on a 64-bit operating system, when you get to this screen...

Click browse and change the destination folder from c:\Program Files (x86) to

C;\Program Files

Then follow the instructions.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Trying this on an Inspiron 15R (N5110) still won't recognize any webcam. I've tried all suggestions and the webcam just can't be found by Webcam Central or Skype. Totally don't understand why there aren't drivers that can be installed, because obviously Windows 7 isn't recognizing the device.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Robert

• Robert,

Another member suggested THIS.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Sir i tried all of the above and much more.Is there a conspiracy with dell many people have the same problem and many people paid alot for dell tech to fix this problem and many people couldnot fix it?I been working on this for quite some time.I am thinking to call the feds about this soon. why do we have to pay for something dell caused?To many people who own inspiron 1545 has the same problem. thanks for any assistance.

• gusto56,

Dell is currently working on the issue. It seems to be a Windows 7 isue with many webcams.

Try running the Microsoft Fitit and see if it works.

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Rick

#DellRockStar

• your absolutely right. The fact that I'm even looking up another one of dells mistakes is infuriating. It seems everytime i get onmy computer to do something, I end up troubleshooting.I still can't fix my "plugged in, not charging," problem. i bought a new cord, tried all suggested theories, nothing. When I called DELL i actually talked to a nice guy for a minute, then he put me on ewith the other guy. i couldn't even ask my question without a credit card. thing is to me this is a brand new computer. i didn't use it during my warranty period. I'm a single mom with little money. I can't afford to pay 50$ to find out something they already have an answer to. Now here I am with the same problem as you guys. Never trying before because I didn't know I wanted to, I'm trying to access my dell webcam central and it tells me i need to plug in a device? What? I am thoroughly disgusted!

• sarahsmiles1975,

This is not a problem for just Dell Computers. This problem started to apper with Windows 7.

Did you try...

Webcam is not functioning

Windows 7

Notice:
    Close any applications that are currently using the webcam. Save and close any applications that you are currently working on as the system will need to restart.
    1. Click Start
    2. Right-Click Computer
    3. Click Properties
    4. Click Device Manager on the left hand side
    5. Click Imaging devices
    6. Right-click the Integrated webcam
    7. Click Uninstall
    8. Follow the prompts to continue to uninstall the Driver.
    9. Once uninstalled restart the computer
       Note:
      After your computer restarts there will be a series of prompts that will reinstall the webcam driver automatically.

#DellRockStar

• I have a dell inspiron 1545 and it comes with a built in webcam. The only problem is the webcam is so dark and even when I try to ajust the setting on the default webcam it's still to dark.. I use oovoo a lot and it doesnt show clear. Is there any better software or tricks I could use to enhance the brightness, color or so so I can see myself better? Any help would be appriciated... Thankz peepz of Cyberwarez

• gr8simba,

Try reading the troubleshooting article at...

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

The Dell article gives you step by step thing to try and the next step in the procedure.

Rick

#DellRockStar