Latitude E6400 Vista Screen Black after closing/opening lid

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude E6400 Vista Screen Black after closing/opening lid

• I set the power preference on my new E6400 to do nothing when I close the lid.  When I close the lid and reopen it, I see my screen for a second when the backlight turns back on, but then the screen goes to black after about a second and never comes back.  I tried putting it to sleep and waking it back up after this and the screen remains black.  I also tried hibernating it and waking it and I just see a black screen with a blinking cursor.  To get graphics back, I have to hold down the power button to completely turn off the laptop and turn it back on before the screen comes back.         

Can anyone else see or confirm this?  I have the Quadro card with the latest drivers (7.15.11.7607).

• Open power options again and click "choose when to turn off the display".The display could be set to turn off while it is plugged in and on battery at a certain time.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• I defintely have the same problem.

• dgkpcon wrote:
    Open power options again and click "choose when to turn off the display".The display could be set to turn off while it is plugged in and on battery at a certain time.
    The backlight does turn off when I close the lid.  It turns back on when I open it, but then the screen turns black (but the backlight is still on).

• I have the exact same issue here with my E6400.  Nothing works; i.e. Fn+D, trying to put the notebook into standby, etc.  This happens several times a day.  :smileymad:

I will close the lid, and when I open it up again, sometimes I'll get a brief flash of whatever I had on my display prior to closing, then it will go black (backlight is on, and often there will be a flashing text mode cursor at the top).

My only resolution is to walk it over to my E-dock, in which case the external display activates and I can regain video.

I have to assume some sort of video driver issue here with regards to the lid closing.

Otherwise, I'm getting good at shutting down the computer using the keyboard shortcuts and no video.

• billbrasky

I set the power preference on my new E6400 to do nothing when I close the lid.  When I close the lid and reopen it, I see my screen for a second when the backlight turns back on, but then the screen goes to black after about a second and never comes back.  I tried putting it to sleep and waking it back up after this and the screen remains black.  I also tried hibernating it and waking it and I just see a black screen with a blinking cursor.  To get graphics back, I have to hold down the power button to completely turn off the laptop and turn it back on before the screen comes back.         

Can anyone else see or confirm this?  I have the Quadro card with the latest drivers (7.15.11.7607).

I have the same problem!

• I too have exactly the same problem. Even exactly the same symptoms if I suspend or hibernate once it goes black. I have ruled out my particular hardware by swapping my hard drive into another E6400 with identical hardware and reproducing the problem. And the fact that others are having the same problem seems to rule out my OS/software install as the cause.

I've also noticed that how long the lid is closed seems to be a factor. If I just close it for a few minutes, it's always fine. But if I leave it closed overnight, it seems to come up black more than half the time. If I close it for a few hours, it will occasionally come up black.

I've tried the latest driver from Dell, as well as another version from laptopvideo2go.com. Same results from both.

While I haven't been able to reproduce this since, I was once able to RDP into the laptop after the screen had gone to black, open device manager, and uninstall the nVidia driver. The screen came right back on. I re-installed the driver, and all was well again. It's as if, after a while, Windows just forgets the video card is there. However lately, once the screen goes black, I haven't been able to remote in.

Has anyone else gone to Dell support with this? I have a case open, so we'll see what happens.

• I don't believe the drivers you are using are "official" Dell drivers. Are you using XP?

When any other than official Dell LAPTOP drivers are used in a Dell laptop, you are sure to have problems in some area. The most common are power options. The reason for this is that the desktop drivers that are made usable by a modified .inf file are not optimized for power options, as most desktop users do not need power options. There can be other areas of incompatibility also. This is also true if you use a video driver for the same video board, but in a different computer. Before Dell issued the latest video driver for the XPS M1530, I tried the same exact driver version that had been issued for several othe Dells with the same video board. The power options in both cases did not work correctly.

Although you may seen some posts claiming the modified video drivers work well on Dell laptops, you will see many more, especially on non-Dell Forums, that have problems. If the desktop drivers were OK to use, why would Dell, and all the other laptop manufacturers, go to the trouble of writing special drivers for laptops?

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1.1 Home - 32 bit

• You can believe in everything you want, dear KirkD. I can ony say I am using a Dell Latitide E6400 with a nVidia Quadro NVS 160M card inside. I installed the last video driver downloaded from Dell support site (7.15.11.7607, A01) and I'm having the same problem as billbrasky (first post) about closing and opening the lid.

• While I generally agree that using the proper driver is best, the solution here seems to not be so simple unfortunately. I am using Vista with the "official" Dell-distributed driver downloaded specifically for the E6400 with Vista 32-bit (the same 7.15.11.7607 version that others have referenced). I tested a non-Dell driver only to troubleshoot and see if it made any difference (it didn't). Since this seems to occur under both XP and Vista, I'm now doubting that this is a driver issue at all.

• This is an NVIDIA problem.  It is actually common among all brands of PCs.  I know that people don't reccomend this, but try some modded drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com.   I've been seeing this problem appear here and there for about 7 years, now.  The videos have always been the culprit.  Dell doesn't write the drivers, Nvidia does, and Dell modifies them to their specs.

• Nicknow, was your post here deleted? I got an automated email when you posted, but now I don't see your post. 

I have found that calling tech support for things like this is more productive than the online chat, so you might want to try that. Please let us know if you find a resolution for this!

• I read about this issue also in the microsoft msdn forum, there are other laptops whose screem don't resume when lid reopens. Without wasting time with drivers, I solved it disabling the adative display option in the vista advanced power options, section display. I know it's only a workaround... Hei nicknow, what about your post?

• Another thing to try: when you lift the lid, press Fn+F8 (the CRT/LCD switch). I think the video driver thinks you want to switch to an external monitor when you close the lid, but it doesn't restore to LCD when you open the lid again.

• wacky_doug

Another thing to try: when you lift the lid, press Fn+F8 (the CRT/LCD switch). I think the video driver thinks you want to switch to an external monitor when you close the lid, but it doesn't restore to LCD when you open the lid again.

If only it was that simple...