XPS Lag problems

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS Lag problems

• Kevon I gave them your service tag and they said that you were sent an empty box. The lied to me. Go figure. I finally get some proof and they brush that off too. They must think we are complete idiots. Anywho they said if I send it in they will fix it and I told the senior supervisor that if my computer came back and I ran CPU rightmart on it and it showed that my computer was throttling I would be getting a replaced with a XPS gen 2. Simple as that. I start school in sept and cant be without my laptop so they fix it or send me a new one period. Easier said then done of course. But best of luck to the rest of you. I say send it in and if they dont fix it become there worst nightmare.

Message Edited by OneManArmy on 08-22-2005 06:56 PM

• I honestly don't think Dell is denying this problem to prevent a recall.  There is no need for a recall being a small percent age of people are experiencing this problem .  This is my theory :  let's just say only 6% of XPS & 9100 owners are having this problem,  the other 94% of XPS & 9100 owners their machine is running fine.  The reason being is we all understand the heat issues with laptops a small percent of prescot processors have more heat leakage than the average,  so therefore  most XPS & 9100 owners fall under the 94% that have no issues.  The unfortunate 6% such as you,  have received a prescot processor with a larger percentage of heat leakage which pushes you over the line and causes the system to throttle.  Quite a few people with this issue have sent their machines in to the depot and had their processor replaced with another prescot processor which solved their issues and are experienceing no more problems.  When you call Dell and say I want the northwood processor rather than the prescot , it isn't that easy for the one reason.  On main components , Dell techs have to follow their protocal and rules.  For one,  I don't even think a floor manager can even authorize that.   I think the floor managers supervisor has to authroize any replacement for a system or any replacement for a main component which was not origanally put in the system when it was shipped or purchased with, or can be considered an  upgrade.  It works like this for the reason being if you diddn't have go through this process,  and any tech could authroize main component part upgrades,  you know as well as I do people would be ordering computers with lower specs such as processors;  for example then calling Dell and saying they are having a problem and try to get a 3.4 when they paid for a 2.8 .

Believe me,  Dell is aware of this problem and will help you.  It is just a pain sometimes and time consuming for the consumer .  I would recomend when you call Dell to explain the problem .  Don't even go into detail about the northwood processor, just explain the throttling issue and request a processor replacement,  or better yet request or (insist that this problem has gone on long eouugh but be nice remember they are there to help you so make the tech feel like he is helping you and doing his job) .  Be nice but firm,  and if need be talk to a floor manager to set up sending your machine into the depot for repair.   Also when you do send your machine to the depot, tape a letter to the top of your laptop and tape the page over the hinge which opens the laptop to assure they read the explanation and problem of the throttling problem along with a copy of the RM utility log proof of the processor throttling , then you may want to suggest the northwood processor rather than the prescot.

I am not defending dell by no means,  and believe me I understand your aggravation and frustration, but you will get a lot further working with Dell being polite and firm,  rather than loosing your cool so to speak and heating yourself and the tech to a level where the tech or floor manager may not take the extra step to better assist you and sove your problem to speak.

Also,  every time you call dell , get a case # , techs name and badge #, and also the amount of time you were on the phone with them .  That way when you do talk to a manager or even better when or if you get a higher level of a supervisor callback by phone,  you can give him or her all the info and prove that you have taken every step working with Dell to try to get your computer operating at it's expected level of performance,  which is expected of such a expensive system in which you paid for.

Good luck all and Best wishes to geting this issue resolved.

Inspiron XPS Gen 2
    770 (2.13 GHz/2MB Cache/533 MHz Fsb
    6800 ultra
    2 GIG's Ram
    17 "(1920 x1200) WUXGA Display ( Samsung )
    OS Windows XP Pro sp2
    Logitech MX 1000 Cordless Laser Mouse
    Nostromo n52 Game pad

Message Edited by jeffcmfrt on 08-23-2005 03:23 PM

Desktop

Alienware Area 51ALX  BLK

CPU ii960 Windoes 7 64 bit

2XHD5870 Crossfire 12 Gigs Ram

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

XPS1710 7900 GTX  CPU 2.0  200 Gig HD 4 Gigs Ram  350 Bluetooth 3945 ABG CD/DVD Burner Windows XP Pro with Docking station and creative PCMCIA sound card with the dock option

• Well i just got off the phone with dell and they told me themselves they have blockaded themselves against all XPS gen 1 Throttling problems for the next 2-3 days until they can solve the problem. In the mean time a tech told me the entire problem was with clogged fans and bad heat sinks. Well we all know this is not true so in highly advise you get a can of compressed air and blow out every square inch of your laptop. By doing this you will take down their pillar of defence. However for the next 2-3 days it is pointless to call dell and argue the blockade is complete. Their stall tactics have worked we have now all been trapped into waiting for another three days. I have said it before I will say it again I have never been more dissapointed with a company and their treatment of customers in my entire life.
  • Also i highly suggest you file a compalint with the Federal Trade Commission(FTC) if they get a enought complaignts they will probably look into it. The link is bellow-

http://www.ftc.gov/ remember the more complaints the better.

• This will help drasticly send a regestered letter explaining this problem along with a log of all the times you have contacted Dell about the throttling problem along with a copy of proof of the throttling with a copy of the log from the RM utility tool.Don't forget to send it regestred mail.

Keven Rollins  ceo
    Dell Corparate Headquarters
    One Dell Way
    Round Rock Texas, 78682

Desktop

Alienware Area 51ALX  BLK

CPU ii960 Windoes 7 64 bit

2XHD5870 Crossfire 12 Gigs Ram

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

XPS1710 7900 GTX  CPU 2.0  200 Gig HD 4 Gigs Ram  350 Bluetooth 3945 ABG CD/DVD Burner Windows XP Pro with Docking station and creative PCMCIA sound card with the dock option

• I have just had the strangest problem. I was testing out the RM Clock and throtting issue. And i opened up Interacutal Player to try and watch a movie. Well all went as to be expected i started throttling down to 1683 well i closed interactual but I didnt stop throttling. So i turned off my computer. I restarted it aftera  few seconds and still i was throttling. Well i uninstalled Interactual and restarted my computer and i was STILL throttling. This beats all I've ever seen....Perpetual Throttling???!!

O yeah and my temp was around 60 degrees, strange isn't it....
  • glsapp23, it might appear trivial here but did you try setting the Windows Power Scheme to "Always On"? That disables the Intel SpeedStep from throttling down the processor.
    Control Panel -> Power Options -> Set the Power Scheme drop down to "Always On".

• Yes on one of my longer test i did change alot of power settings but i never turn it to always on. Besides i reset it to all default settings after i was done. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • I too have been told once before that the design team and the technical team were meeting to discuss this problem. This was about a month ago and last 2-3 days. That's just great though because my laptop was sent to the depot today. While I hope they come out of it deciding to step up to the plate, my laptop will likely miss the boat because it's at the depot right now. I can say that I did send an awesome technical description of the problem, based on all the facts here, stating that I was confident the only thing that would ultimately resolve the issue was a replacement laptop or a Northwood processor replacement. We will see what happens. I should have it back in a week.

When I do get it back, I'm going to make sure I game on a nice sunny day to see what happens.

Oh and as far as them saying it's the heat sink and fans...they told me that last week as well. I argued with them that after the last technician cleaned mine out completely, that the machine throttled the first time I used it so what was their excuse for that. I just got the "ma'am we're confident that this is the problem." Pfft

Message Edited by jmh711 on 08-23-2005 09:19 PM

Message Edited by jmh711 on 08-23-2005 09:20 PM

• glsapp23, I guess I was not clear on the earlier post. You SHOULD set it to "Always On" so that SpeedStep does not throttle your shiny Intel processor down.
    Always On = No throttling by speedstep!
  • im scared if i set it to always on my cpu will catch fire.

its already at 64 idling

• Anyday wrote:
    im scared if i set it to always on my cpu will catch fire.

its already at 64 idling

lol  I believe it would shut itself down first.. don't they have some "self-destruction prevention" mechanism? :smileywink:
  • Yes when the prescott reaches 185 degrees F it shuts the computer down to protect itsself
  • Ohhhh i see. Sorry misunderstood you there ok ill try that.

ok i just restarted my computer and its not throttling for no reason any more and i didnt change anything well i guess that means i have  throttling issues and possessed computer issues...

Message Edited by glsapp23 on 08-23-2005 10:51 PM

• Speedstep is for mobile processors not desktop P4's so it does not apply to the iXPS gen 1.  The desktop P4's in the iXPS cannot step down in frequency, the throttling is accomplished by other means.  Throttling is what protects the processor from destroying itself.  There is another set point at which the processor will simply shutdown to prevent it from being destroyed.  Throttling is supposed to prevent the processor from ever reaching the point of shutdown.  That way it can cool itself down and return to a normal state.  It should be more of an emergency situation (All your fans die at the same time) though, not all the time when everything else in the system is operating as it should. 

My original throttling problem was that it would throttle and stay that way.  I had to turn the laptop off and let it cool down sufficiently before restarting it or it would startup throttled.  I could speed up the process by turning the laptop off and sticking it in a freezer for about 5 minutes, otherwise it would take a while to cool down sufficiently to startup without being throttled.  Dell replaced my motherboard and cpu that time and it did stop the throttling from "sticking".  Make sure you are using bios A05.  If you have upgraded to A06 then go back to A05.  When your laptop throttles press Fn+z and the throttling will be momentarily stopped.  Of course if your laptop is still hot it will return right back to throttling again, but it may help if your throttling condition is sticking.

A question for anyone that is watching this or involved in this thread.  Does everyone have the 3.4GHz Prescott?  Or do some people have lower clock frequency Prescott's that are also throttling?  The only data point I have is the 3.4GHz which I owned.  I have been looking through all the intel processors that would fit into the iXPS.  The value that I am looking at is the thermal guideline that intel specifies, look here  processorfinder.intel.com  if you are interested.  The thermal guideline basically tells the manufacturer how to design their cooling system.  The highest thermal guideline for the Northwood cores is 89.0W for the 3.4GHz Northwood.  I know from experience that the iXPS cooling system can handle the heat output of the 3.4 Northwood.  Note that all other Northwood cores have a thermal guideline of 82.0W or lower and as a result would run even cooler than the 3.4 Northwood.  Now onto the available Prescott processors for the iXPS.  For any given frequency there are multiple steppings.  I will only quote the stepping with the lowest thermal guideline.  Here is the list:

Prescott
    3.4, 103.0W
    3.2 D0, 89.0W
    3.0, 89.0W
    2.8, 89.0W

From this it appears that as long as you get the D0 stepping 3.2GHz Prescott the iXPS could probably handle the heat output as it has the same thermal guideline as the 3.4GHz Northwood core.  It cannot handle the heat output of the 3.4GHz Prescott however.  Let's hear from everyone what speed their processor is and what amount of throttling they are experiencing.

Message Edited by kevon on 08-23-2005 11:54 PM