restoring factory setting on inspiron 5100

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

restoring factory setting on inspiron 5100

• I've just backed up all of my personal data and would like to restore my laptop to factory settings - wiping everything so its just like its new out of the box..

How do I do this?

Thanks
  • Click in the upper left hand corner under Product Support, then Reinstall Guides.

• thanks for the help.

I took a look at the link, put didn't really find what I was looking for. There were links for re-installing windows and drivers, but I could find anything about 'restoring factory settings.'
  • can i use zztop?
  • The only way to truly "restore factory settings" is to use a drive imaging program as soon as you get your computer, and then later when you want to do a restore, restore that image. If you didn't do this when you got your computer, the best thing to do is to reinstall windows. Since you've backed up all of your data (remember your internet favourites and email), you can do a complete reinstall, by deleting the partition, re-formatting, and reinstalling. Deleting the partition and re-formatting will destroy all data on your harddrive, so make sure your backup is secure before you complete those steps.

Best of luck,

• spiked_martini wrote:

you can do a complete reinstall, by deleting the partition, re-formatting, and reinstalling.

Does anyone have step-by-step directions for doing this?

• ljscott wrote:

spiked_martini wrote:

you can do a complete reinstall, by deleting the partition, re-formatting, and reinstalling.

Does anyone have step-by-step directions for doing this?

I have found the section on re-installing software, but nothing regarding the deletion of the partition and the re-formating of the harddrive.
  • :BUMP:

can anyone help me with this?