Caps Lock On/Off Notification

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Caps Lock On/Off Notification

• I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but here it goes...

When I first got my new Inspiron 8600, it had a feature on it that popped up a message window telling me when Caps Lock was On or Off.  It was a little yellow box in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.  A couple of days ago I replaced Windows XP Home with XP Pro on my computer and had to reload everything.  I've successfully restored everything to how it was before my OS reload, but I still can't figure out how to enable the Caps Lock notifications that I was seeing when I first got the system.  Does anyone know where I might go to enable/disable this feature?  Is there any Dell pre-loaded software that controls this that I should load?

Thanks, David Savage

• Not 100% sure, but did you install the Dell Quickset program?
  • Yes, I did install the QuickSet program and I can't find the described feature in any of its options.  Any other suggestions?

• I have this box and I am painfully longing for an option to get rid of it. As I hate it, as I hate caps look at all.

It is uncommon in Germany to have caps lock, in other words, it is contrary to the german keyboard locales. Usually in case that you additionally want capslock on a german keyboard you have to install a special setting under Settings/Locales/TextServices (free translation) to install a mixture of German keyboard layout (including the German "Umlauts" but WITH the caps lock of the nongerman world. I only have the plain german locale and textservice. So in my case there should NOT be capslock at all.) So for me it is a bug, at least until I have an option to disable it.  

It is a pain in the neck and it was my impression that it came with the Quickset although I do not find any option there either.

I have deleted all the initial Dell software including the Dell-Service partition. Running XP Pro German. So it can't be a hidden secret software causing this pain ;-)
  • Hello Chrisi Dell 8600,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

Is it a chance that you're using an external Keyboard with your system? If so you may want to check the software that came with it, a cap lock icon in your sys tray may indicate that software for an external keyboard maybe installed on your system. Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

• Thanks for the reply.
    I am not using an external keyboard. Just an external mouse that works almolst fine.

The capslock notification is the same kind of flying window like when I dim the display(FN+Up or FN+Down) or when switch the Bluetooth-Adapter On (FN+F2).

Regards,
    Christian
  • Hello Chrisi Dell 8600,

This icon that you're seeing is related to some 3rd party sftwre that is installed. I would suggest for you to go to Add or Remove Programs and look through your installed programs to determine which program actually is affiliated with the icon. I did a google search and several free programs came up. If you want , you can post a list of installed programs that you have and we can help you narrow it down or try to right click on the icon and see If there is a properties option that will give you a little more information on the program.

Thanks,
  • I have investigated what file-access is done when I trigger the on-screen menues (with "Filemon")

• Brightness and Sound Pop-up are definitelly managed by Quickset.
    • Things are not so clear for the Caps-Lock Pop-up. There seems to be no file-access at all when I do "Caps-Lock". Further investigation would be required. I am not prepared to do further investigation. I have to live with it 'till the next Windows-installation.

Regards,
    Christian

Message Edited by Chrisi Dell 8600 on 11-10-2004 05:35 AM

• Solution for me:

I found the following page that offers registry files which amend/insert a scancode for the Keyboard Layout to twist the issue in a way you want to have it:

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_caps_lock/

Worked fine for me. No Caps-Lock after reboot. I assume that it can be done the other way round. Do a registry-backup before you applying any changes!

In the end it seems to have nothing to do with Dell.

Regards,
    Christian