left mouse button not working on Latitude CsxH

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

left mouse button not working on Latitude CsxH

• My left mouse button and my double clicking on the touchpad does not work. i can move the mouse and I can right click the mouse. I am able to hook up an external mouse and it works fine both left and right buttons. It just happened all of a sudden.

• The left mouse button on my DELL LATITUDE XPI CD W/MMX failed as well.

I asked DELL for information on where to download drivers for the device, but no response.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

• I am having a similar problem with left-clicking on my Inspiron4000. I can move the pointer and right-click, but cannot left click with either mouse button or by tapping either the touchpad or the pointing stick. I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded and installed newer drivers from the website, and run the diagnostics. Neither driver installation helped, and the diagnostics say the device is working, but the box for testing the left click "activates" (i.e. fills-in with color) just by moving the mouse over it without clicking, as if it's already been clicked/being held down. I have also started noticing a similar behavior with the left mouse buttons in Windows. For example, if I have a window with text open, and try to left click, it sometimes acts as if I'm doing a click and drag (i.e. as if the left button were being held down), and starts highlighting the text. The right click buttons behave normally both in the diagnostics and in Windows.

I've seen several mentions of this problem on the forum--has anyone found a solution?

Lisa

• I guess I'm actually replying to my own post, but that seemed easiest. In case others are still reading this thread, I wanted to report that I have (tentatively, fingers crossed) found a solution for the non-functional left mouse buttons. Unfortunately, it seems to be a hardware issue (luckily my machine is still under warranty), but it is, at least, a solution. After posting to the pointing devices forum for Inspirons (I actually have an Inspiron 4000), and speaking to someone in tech support, Dell set up a service call to replace the palm rest assembly on my laptop, and after it was installed I got all of my mouse functions back. Both left mouse buttons are currently working, and I can also left click by tapping either the touchpad or the pointing stick.

I hope this helps someone else out there, as I was frustrated by the fact that I found a number of posts with the same problem as mine, but never with any mention of the problem ever being solved.

Lisa

• I have the same problem with an Alps touchpad on my Lat D600. The left buttons just stopped working. Reinstalled my driver: nothing. Tapping works, so I can still use it, though dragging and dropping is a pain. If I switch the right button to "click," the right button stops functioning (it still works normally in default mode). So I figure it is a driver/BIOS problem. I e-mailed Dell (no way in hell I am calling them again after wasting hours of my life on a problem I ended up solving by reading these boards). They sent a tech out to replace my touchpad. Though I doubted this would work, it didn't take any time. I now have a shiny new touchpad installed by an extremely efficient and friendly tech. And I still have the very same problem. If anybody finds a non-hardware answer, my new left button is waiting to be clicked.

barkingmad