How to check the microphone?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How to check the microphone?

• I tried to use both the external and internal micrphone with karaoke program and could not hear my voice. How would one trouble shoot it? Please, help!!!
  • AFAIK: Karaoke won't work on notebooks.
  • Just like that? How would actually makes the mike work and test it? I went into volume control properties and checked microphone but I don't know how to operate it.

Insp 8500, 2mhz, SXGA, 640MB, ATI

• rammmstein wrote:

Just like that? How would actually makes the mike work and test it? I went into volume control properties and checked microphone but I don't know how to operate it.

Insp 8500, 2mhz, SXGA, 640MB, ATI

Open the 'Volume controls', 'Recording' and check the microphone box. Go to 'accessories', 'entertainment', 'sound recorder' click on the 'record' button and speak into the mic.

I had a look at the manual for the 8500. Is there no built-in mic? I didn't see one!

If you attach an external mic, I don't think you can enable the mic (in recording properties) and playback at the same time. Perhaps someone who actually owns an 85-8600 could shed more light on this. I think it's a limitation of the sound card and/or mixer.

• Hi I have a Inspiron 8500 and can say that it does have an in-built microphone.

15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) UltraSharp Wide - Aspect Screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32MB Graphics Card
    FUJITSU MHT2040AT 40GB HDD
    SAMSUNG 8xDVD/24xCD-RW Combo Drive
    One type I/II PC Card Slot
    SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port
    Modular Floppy Disk Drive
    2 USB 2.0 Ports
    Firewire
    3 Years Collect and Return
    Windows XP Home Edition
  • So, is there a microphone on 8500 or not? Honestly I don't see one on the body of Inspiron. All it has are fans/air intake and speakers. The thing is I see the microphone in the settings but I don't know where it is or how to use it. I plugged a cheap external microphone and it'd not work either ... Is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks.

Inspiron 8500
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M 2 Ghz
    640MB 266Mhz DDR SDRAM
    15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) UltraSharp Wide - Aspect Screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32MB Graphics Card
    HITACHI 30GB HDD
    8xDVD Drive
    Modular Floppy Disk Drive
    2 USB 2.0 Ports
    Firewire
    3 Years Collect and Return
    Windows XP Pro

• The microphone is above the Caps Lock indicator LED near the base of the LCD screen, that small hole in the case.
  • Randy's right - you can't have the notebook playing back while speaking into the mic, because of possible feedback issues. The only way you can get around this is to hack the sound drivers.