Dell Updates crashed my XPS 15 - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell Updates crashed my XPS 15

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Updates crashed my XPS 15

This question has been answered by LSUFAN51

As per the subject really. Hadn't used the laptop for a week or so, then last time I used it I was prompted to install 3 Dell Updates. Tried to use for first time post-updates today and it gets past the Dell logo then hangs on a black screen with a white circle going round and round. I can  see a cursor and that's it.

Have tried the Dell diagnostic start up tests which didn't show any errors. I can get into the Bios menu and Windows recovery options but not being particularly tech savvy I'm scared to change too much in there.

Any tips on how to fix greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had this issue?

Verified Answer
  • If you're able to get into the windows recovery options again, I suggest you run System Restore in the Advanced options. System restore will go back to an earlier time before the 3 updates are installed. Please follow steps below:

Windows Recovery options:

1. Advanced Repair Options or Advanced Options

2. Troubleshoot

3. Advanced options 

4. System Restore

All Replies
  • If you're able to get into the windows recovery options again, I suggest you run System Restore in the Advanced options. System restore will go back to an earlier time before the 3 updates are installed. Please follow steps below:

Windows Recovery options:

1. Advanced Repair Options or Advanced Options

2. Troubleshoot

3. Advanced options 

4. System Restore

• Thanks you so much, this has done the trick and I am up and running again.

• Thank you so much, I am now back up and running again having completed the system restore.

• Big Smile

Glad to know the computer is fix now. Thanks for the update.