Latest Windows 10 Upgrade refuses to install. - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Latest Windows 10 Upgrade refuses to install.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latest Windows 10 Upgrade refuses to install.

This question is not answered

My Dell Inspiron 15R laptop is 6 years old.  It came with Windows 7 installed.  Service tag 4DHR1N1.

It was auto-upgraded to WIndows 10 when this first came out. 

Since then all the Windows 10 upgrades have worked upgrades have worked OK - until yesterday.

Before this, there had been an unsuccessful attempt to load

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)

The first time it tried to upgrade, when I powered up, it went straight to "Restoring your previous version of Windows"

- even though Update History reported the successful installation of

2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4025339)

It then asked me to schedule an update installation time.

Following this, when I attempted to start the laptop, I got the Windows logo and spinning dots for a few seconds - then my laptop shut down.  I noticed that the fan was putting out warmer air than usual.

This happened the following 4 times I attempted to reboot the laptop.  Screen live for a few seconds, then shut-down.

On the 6th attempt, I finally got the message "Restoring your previous version of Windows".  And my laptop is now working again.

Is there ANY way I can either stop the automatic update from crashing my computer, or revert to Windows 7?

I have Windows 10 Home, not Windows 10 professional.

Dell told me some time ago that they had not tested this particular laptop for Windows 10 compatability.

Or is the only solution to scrap a perfectly good laptop and buy a new one?

All Replies
  • Hi Chris,

You can try reinstalling the system if you have the disk or if you have created.

You can contact the out of warranty department by going to Dell support site and select your country.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Dell-Vijay A
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell
    Dell Support Videos
    Drivers and Downloads
    Driver order