Dell Inspiron 1150 Vs. Inspiron 5160 Processor compatibility? - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell Inspiron 1150 Vs. Inspiron 5160 Processor compatibility?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1150 Vs. Inspiron 5160 Processor compatibility?

This question has been answered by ejn63

I have a dell inspiron 1150 and 5160, they look very alike. Does anyone know if i can put the 3.06 mobile pentium 4 processor from my 5160 into the 1150? 

Only difference is the fan is much bigger on the 5160 and it runs very hot. The 1150 has a celeron 2.8 and the fan runs slow or not at all. 

Is there any other significant differences between these two laptops ?

Verified Answer
  • While the CPU will work, it's a power hog and runs hot -- I would not try it without moving the larger fan to the 1150 (if that's possible).  The Celeron CPU is the reason why one system runs much cooler than the other -- Intel had pushed the mobile P4 further than it could go and ultimately had to redesign the chip to make it more efficient - - which led to the Core CPU line.

All Replies
  • While the CPU will work, it's a power hog and runs hot -- I would not try it without moving the larger fan to the 1150 (if that's possible).  The Celeron CPU is the reason why one system runs much cooler than the other -- Intel had pushed the mobile P4 further than it could go and ultimately had to redesign the chip to make it more efficient - - which led to the Core CPU line.