Latitude E7440 hard drive size? 9MM? 7MM? mSATA? - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Latitude E7440 hard drive size? 9MM? 7MM? mSATA?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude E7440 hard drive size? 9MM? 7MM? mSATA?

This question has been answered by MatzeXXX

PCIe?

Can't find this info anywhere.  I have some 7mm SSD drives I want to deploy with these.   However, if it's PCIe, I might go that route too.

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

If You will order E7440 with standard HDD, it is in fact 5mm HDD fitted in a pair of rubber distances which make it 7mm :)

So 7mm HDD/SSD fits just fine(for me it is Intel 520 Series SSD), without any modifications in standard hdd frame.

• You can take the SSD mini card, plug that into the WWAN slot, and then install any 7mm HDD in the SATA slot. That's what I did. Got the Hitachi 1TB drive, and I am very happy with it.

All Replies
  • Looks like it takes one standard 2.5" drive - the mSATA is optional (and if it's not ordered from the factory with an mSATA drive, the connector is not installed in the system.

• Hmm...  Of course in the product customization tool, it only tells you the size in GB, and not if it's mSata or 7mm, or 9mm.

Search through the support/specs manual too.

Sigh.

PS: There are two 'standard' sizes of 2.5" drives.  7mm or 9mm.

• There are actually four - 5, 7, 9.5 and 12.5.

7 mm will fit just fine -- 5 will as well, but I wouldn't count on 9.5 or larger.

• Hello Sammyc53,

The Latitude E7440 was only tested and shipped with 5mm drives. It requires a 5mm bracket (support frame). Dell part number for the support frame is FCN4M. 

You may contact Dell Spare Parts and order it. Contact number for Dell Spare Parts sales team # 1-800-357-3355 (US Customers only).

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards
    Allan D
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USIndia. For Dell support videos click Here.

If a post answers your question, please click "Yes".

• Hi,

If You will order E7440 with standard HDD, it is in fact 5mm HDD fitted in a pair of rubber distances which make it 7mm :)

So 7mm HDD/SSD fits just fine(for me it is Intel 520 Series SSD), without any modifications in standard hdd frame.

• I am very interested in this subject. When you put in the 7mm HDD, weren't there any issues with that orange flat cable-strip underneath it? (See pic.)

It seems to make it difficult to build in the 7mm drive...

Also is there a product number on the frame? Since I got the E7449 with an SSD, I have to order the frame...

Thanks!

• Hi, 

There is no problem with that orange flat cable, it just sit's under the 7mm ssd :)

there is no problem to fit 7mm ssd/hdd, it fits perfectly - i am using intel 520 series SSD in a standard HDD frame.

feel free to ask any more questions :)

• Thanks so much for your quick reply! : )

In my laptop the orange cable is curved like in that picture (the pic is taken from the manual), and I would have to really force a 7mm HDD down on it to make it fit. I am wondering if that could damage the orange cable.

But the most important issue: how did you fixate your 7mm HDD in there? The frame from the SSD can't be used, and I can't find anything online...

• I did a bit more research on the subject, and it basically boils down to finding this HDD caddy for the laptop:

Any info on the availability?

Thanks so much!

• does someone know where and how can I buy this part? I have e7440 - and thay put me the msata in place to WWAN... so now I want to add another HD like in the pic - but thay didn't put me the sata controller with it baket and with it cable to the motherboard... I really need this part to connect my 2nd HD... please help me !!!

• On a system this new, your only source is Dell.  To contact  Dell Spare Parts,

1-800-357-3355

• i'm fro Israel ' left a messenger but thay didn't came back

• I'm from Germany, and I would love to get a hold of the metal frame too. Calling the US number might not lead anywhere for me (and CHENSHOTOKAN)...

• do tou have the HDD connector and cable to the motherboard?

• Yes, everything is there because right now the mSATA minicard is connected here. I intend to place it in the dedicated mSATA port, which frees up the SATA port for a HDD : ) The only thing missing is that flat metal frame ...