installing windows 7 in inspiron 14z 5423

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

installing windows 7 in inspiron 14z 5423

This question is answered

Hi,

I've a inspiron 14z 5423 ultrabook.Please help me with steps for installing the windows 7 with Sata operation in the Intel SRT mode.

I tried following earlier forum posts but I couldn't figure out the RAID menu in bios,pressing of ctrl+I after setting the bios default,didn't work for me.I don't think there is such menu in my laptop.

Please help me out

Verified Answer
  • Hi adityagigs,

Please follow the steps below to Configure Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) and reply with results:

Step 1: Configure SATA Mode in Setup

1. Press <F2> during boot up to enter the setup menu.
    2. Go to the Advanced => SATA Operation.
    3. Change the value to Intel Smart Response Technology from AHCI/ATA.
    4. Press <F10> key to save settings and restart the system.

Step 2: Operating System Installation:

1. You may now begin installation of the operating system on the Hard Drive.
    2. After Windows Installation is complete install all required device drivers.
    3. Install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software version 11 or later.

Step 3: Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology

1. Run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software through the All Programs menu.
    2. Click Enable Acceleration either under Status or Accelerate.
    3. Select the SSD to be used as a cache device.
    4. Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory.
    5. Select the Hard Drive to be accelerated. It is highly recommended to accelerate the system volume or system disk for maximum performance.
    6. Select the acceleration mode, and then click OK. By default, Enhanced mode is selected.
    7. The page refreshes and reports the new acceleration configuration in the Acceleration View. Setup is now complete.
    Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
    your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
  • Okay.Thank you

All Replies
  • Hi adityagigs,

Please follow the steps below to Configure Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) and reply with results:

Step 1: Configure SATA Mode in Setup

1. Press <F2> during boot up to enter the setup menu.
    2. Go to the Advanced => SATA Operation.
    3. Change the value to Intel Smart Response Technology from AHCI/ATA.
    4. Press <F10> key to save settings and restart the system.

Step 2: Operating System Installation:

1. You may now begin installation of the operating system on the Hard Drive.
    2. After Windows Installation is complete install all required device drivers.
    3. Install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software version 11 or later.

Step 3: Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology

1. Run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software through the All Programs menu.
    2. Click Enable Acceleration either under Status or Accelerate.
    3. Select the SSD to be used as a cache device.
    4. Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory.
    5. Select the Hard Drive to be accelerated. It is highly recommended to accelerate the system volume or system disk for maximum performance.
    6. Select the acceleration mode, and then click OK. By default, Enhanced mode is selected.
    7. The page refreshes and reports the new acceleration configuration in the Acceleration View. Setup is now complete.
    Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
  • Thank you Zohaib for the steps.

I'll definitely follow these steps as installation guide.But I don't have a bootable CD of Windows 7 Home Basic as I didn't receive any CD of Windows at the time of purchase.But I've  figured out that there is an activation key number of win 7 home basic at the back side of the laptop.

Can you tell me where I can get a original image file or any link or anything,that i can make a bootable CD with it.

Thank you 

• Does the system still work?  If so, use the Dell Datasafe Local/Dell Backup and Recovery to make a recovery flash drive or set of dvds.

• No my system isn't working at all

• Hi adityagigs,

As you do not have the disk that came with the computer, please use the following link to request Backup Discs: http://dell.to/11Cve34

The above link is for the US region. Please let me if there is any difficulty in requesting the disk.

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Hi Nikhil,

There is no choice or option for states of India in shipping procedure.Options are available for American states only

• You need to call your local Dell office.

• Okay.Thank you

• DELL-ZOHAIB R,

I have this laptop too and I have a problem here. When I change the value from SATA Operation to Intel Smart Response Technology, my Hard Drive does not appear to install Windows 7. It is just appearing the SSD Drive. Is it ok?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

• Hi Jonathan,

You wish to install the Operating System on the SSD or the Hard Drive? I mean which drive you want to make as Operating System Boot Drive?

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • DELL-ZOHAIB R,

I want to install on the Hard Drive and use the SSD as a cache for the Hard Drive, making a RAID 0 with both discs.
    When I tried to do what you said, the Hard Drive does not appear for me on the windows installation, just the SSD. The only way I found is to make SATA Operation as AHCI. In AHCI mode, the Hard Drive was appearing. When I was about to give up, after having tried many different options to solve the problem and lots of mistakes, I have found a way in this topic. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1651700/windows-setup-configure-run-computer-hardware.html#.

I am leaving this topic here for those who will have the same problem as me and so they can solve this faster.

Thank you anyway

Jonathan

• Hi Jonathan,

I am glad to know you have found the fix and it worked for you. You link will surely be helping other users in the forum. Please feel free to reach us if you have any further queries.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell