Dell Inspiron 1545 - White screen - No external display as well - New motherboard too

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1545 - White screen - No external display as well - New motherboard too

This question is not answered

Hello,

I have a problem with my dell inspiron 1545. 

Recently I used a cheap battery from ebay as  a replacement and the display went off (it flashed). It did not even boot up/ Local computer shop guy said the motherboard was fried. So I bought a new motherboard and a new battery from dell. 

I replaced motherboard (with care, grounding myself to avoid static electricity as well). Now the laptop boots (I can hear the fan ON, CD drive light flashes), however the screen shows a bright white display and nothing else. 

I removed memory modules, I can hear a beep noise.

But if I connect an external display, it wouldnt work (external monitor says no signal).

I used the internal hard drive in an external casing and used my desktop, I could see the files in the harddrive. 

I even opened the LCD display and made sure every connection is intact.

Could anyone please guide me, what could have gone wrong? I ran out of options and have spent over £250 already. I dont know if its worth investing more or buy a new one? 

Suggestions please..

All Replies
  • To activate the external screen you have to press FN + F1 (or just F1) right after turning on the system.If this doesn't work(maybe you pressed the keys at the wrong time) try this(just to confirm that the graphic card is fine):

Turn on the system and instantly keep tapping F2 for about 6 seconds.This will take you to the BIOS screen.Now try

FN & F1.

• Hi,

Dell Inspiron 1545 was offered with the following three motherboards:

1. Discrete,PM45, 256GDDR3

2. Discrete,GM45, 512-DDR2

3. UMA

What was the original motherboard in the computer and what is the new motherboard that you purchased? If you have Dell Part Number(s), please include the same in your reply. Also, what is the LCD (display) type in your machine, such as, “LCD,15.4,WSXGA+”, “LCD,15.6,HDF+”, “LCD,15.6HDF,CCFL”, etc.?

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
    your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
  • Hi Zohaib,

Existing motherboard: G849F-70166-97P-0QG4-A01

New motherboard: G849F 70166-035-0TF0-A01

Not sure how to find out the type of screen...

• Hi Micro test, I tried your method but it did not work with Fn+F2 (6 seconds) or F1 .

• Hi,

Thank you for the details, I have checked the Part Numbers and they are matching. Your computer has a UMA (Unified Memory Architecture) motherboard. Most likely the problem is with the graphics chip on the motherboard. Kindly get this motherboard checked (if possible) with a local technician. One possible way of checking the motherboard is by trying this motherboard in another Inspiron 1545.

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
  • FN + F1 !!!!!

First press F2 to get to the BIOS screen then press FN + F1 (follow the procedure as shown in my previous post)

• Hi Microtest,

I fully understand what you said in your earlier post. I meant the same. I did the steps you mentioned and it did not work.

@zohaib,

What would be the solution if the graphics card is the reason? Change the motherboard again?

• Hi,

@ dell1545uk, yes, if the Graphics Chip is bad motherboard replacement is the only option. It would be a good idea to get it checked before replacement.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell