Inspiron 1420 Laptop Overheating while playing Sims 3

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1420 Laptop Overheating while playing Sims 3

This question is not answered

Hi,

I've had my Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop since 2008 and have always been able to play The Sims 2/3 for hours at a time without experiencing any overheating issues. A few weeks ago, my game started crashing after twenty minutes of game play.   When it crashed, my SpeedFan was reading a GPU temperature of 97 degrees (it normally runs at about 50-60 degrees if I'm not playing The Sims).    My laptop is under warranty and Dell sent a guy out today to replace my motherboard, heat sink  (I think that's what he called it) and a fan.  I tried playing The Sims 3 after he left and my laptop GPU was 87 degrees after 15 minutes of game play.  Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my laptop that would make it overheat like this?   BTW, I've tried cleaning my vents and using a cooling pad.  Surely a 90-100 degree GPU isn't good and I don't want to fry my laptop. I would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas.  Thank you!

All Replies
  • With a 5-year old system, it's time to replace the thermal pad that sits between the CPU and heatsink and the GPU (if discrete) and heatsink.

• Thank you for the response!    I'll mention this to Dell when I contact them again. 

• Hi sgirl19,

You may try a BIOS update on the computer.

http://dell.to/1bbXDgl

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
    • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
    • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
    • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack  before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Kindly private message me the service tag so that I can take the case forward. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• I have a dell also - new - the problem is that the game overheats any laptop. I have a small table top fan that I placed right next to the laptop and I turn it on when I play the game. It cools off the laptop. The first time I played the game it will shut down after about 30 minutes. Now, it doesn't do that at all.  Hope this helps.