Dell Inspiron N7010 start-up problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron N7010 start-up problem

This question is not answered

Hi, I have an almost 2-year-old laptop with which I've been having problems for the last week or so. It all started when after hibernating the computer had a blank black screen not responding so I shut it off. After that it seems to boot up only once every 20 or so times. What happens after I press the power button: The laptop starts booting but doesn't get to the dell startup screen, after a while (after booting 3-4 times unsuccessfully) the fans even start spinning but the screen stays black and the hard drive light indicates that the drive isn't working.

LED Lights: The first light turns on, the second light turns on for a second or two (indicating hard drive starting to boot up) but then the light turns off and the computer is still running, but nothing happens. The third light is fine, there is no problem with the battery or the power supply.

I've tried reseating the hard drive, the RAM, removing one stick, then the other etc. and nothing helps. The strangest thing is sometimes (very rarely) it does work, so far it booted up 4-5 times (if it gets to the DELL startup screen it's fine), but the rest 85 times it didn't . I am at a loss, I've read every single forum post on the internet about this. Any help will be thoroughly appreciated. 

All Replies
  • Hi iva188,

First, I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if you face same issue with the computer.

1. Switch off the computer.
    2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
    3. Remove the battery from the computer.
    4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
    5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are facing same issue with the system.

Also, I’d suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
    2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
    3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the PSA.
    4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Thanks and Regards,
    Ravi Chandra BC
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• I'm having an identical problem. Same laptop model, same age, exact same symptoms.

@iva188: The first suggestion, the whole holding-the-power-button deal, seems to have no effect. The second part, the diagnostics, is pretty useless advice when the problem is a computer not turning on.

Assistance would be fabulous.