Changing system board in a d630 - how to transfer Service Tag # ?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Changing system board in a d630 - how to transfer Service Tag # ?

This question is not answered

I have a D630 with system board problems.

I have a new board, and would like to transfer my service tag number to the new board.

As I understand it, this tag is stored in the BIOS.

How would I go about transferring it?  I did not get ant manuals / CDs / software / etc.  with the board.

Thanks

Terry

All Replies
  • Hi Terry,

Please check the steps below for updating Service Tag on the system. These steps would only work if the new motherboard supports this option:

Once the system board is replaced, turn on the system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS.

This photo shows the Dell boot up screen.

The BIOS then boots into the Service Tag screen.

This photo shows the Service Tag screen.

Press <Enter> to start the Service Tag scroll bar.

This photo shows the Service Tag entry screen.

Use the arrow keys to enter the Service Tag.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE: 
    The Service Tag can be found on the system and should be copied exactly.

This photo shows a Service Tag being entered.

When the Service Tag has been entered correctly, press <Enter>.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE: 
    Check the Service Tag again before saving to ensure accuracy. All saved changes are permanent.

This photo shows an entered Service Tag.

Press <Enter> to save the new Service Tag entry.

This photo shows the save screen.

Press <Esc>.

This photo shows the Service Tag entry screen.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the Save/Exit button and then press <Enter>.

This photo shows the save button highlighted.

The system reboots.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

•  

Thanks a lot for the info... unfortunately I have another problem!

When I changed the board out, not the laptop will not boot. It gets about 1/4 of the way into the BIOS screen and hangs. It is a NVIDIA system board, T9500 processor.  The BIOS is way behind (A09) and I know I need to update it as well (to A18). However, unless I cn get it beyond the BIOS load screen I do not know how to do this.

I included a picture of the screen at boot. It will stay like this for at least 30 minutes, and the chips get quite hot as well.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

• Hi Terry,

Kindly re seat the LCD cable to make sure it is connected properly. Make sure that you have no peripherals connected to the system and try again.

If the issue still persists then the new motherboard might be faulty or not compatible. Update of BIOS is only possible once the system completes the POST( Power on Self Test).

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.