Has someone noticed ghost images (screen burn-in) on Dell XPS 12 Duo?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Has someone noticed ghost images (screen burn-in) on Dell XPS 12 Duo?

This question is answered

I recently noticed ghost images on my Dell XPS 12 Duo. If a bright image on dark background stays on the screen for a couple of minutes and then I switch to somewhat dark background I can clearly see the previous image on the screen for some time before it fades away. Once I noticed it I started spotting even more subtle ghost images. I even managed to capture it in a picture with a low-end digital camera - http://imgur.com/a/RIYff (notice the tray icons clearly seen in the Win 8 start screen and even the facebook ad is visible). It is far more clear when you look at the actual screen and not on a picture. I already arranged replacement laptop (as I had other issues with this one) but yesterday I read news about mass defects in Apple's Retina MacBooks ( http://www.ibtimes.com/print/macbook-pro-retina-display-problems-apple-faces-class-action-suit-ghosting-issue-1129939 ) with practically the same issue. Now I wonder if it is possible that all Dell XPS 12 Duo screens have this problem.

So anyone else seeing this on his machine?

Verified Answer
  • st380021a

El_Embajador

Could be a problem of the graphic card instead of the screen?

This discussion thread is approaching 70 pages in length, so the prospect of starting from page 1 and reading it in its entirety is undoubtedly rather daunting. But as someone who's been around since page 1, let me save you some time and summarize the answer to your question:

No.

Off the top of my head, a few of the arguments that can be made in support of the screen itself being to blame, rather than a graphics-card issue: 1. the isolation of the problem to the built-in display (it doesn't appear when cloning to an external monitor). 2. the short-term progressive nature of the problem (it worsens the longer an image has been on the screen in a particular usage session). 3. the long-term progressive nature (brand-new display panels gradually develop image retention even in the absence of modification to the graphics system, and replacing an old panel with a brand-new one will usually give a "fresh start" with no corresponding change to the graphics card). 4. The persistence of a retained image across operating systems or reboots (today, following a restart, I could just about read the website I'd previously had up -- on my login screen!). 5. The existence of a physically plausible mechanism for the observed image retention (a "sticky" quality of the liquid crystals that prevents them from relaxing completely following being driven in certain configurations, though they do eventually relax on timescales governed by the diffusion of electrons -- which is why the image retention isn't permanent). 6. Historical precedent with panels (by the same manufacturer) used in certain Apple notebooks exhibiting the same flaw. 7. The absence of this flaw in numerous other computers that use the same graphics hardware and software, and the presence of the flaw in multiple generations of XPS 12, which have different graphics hardware but the same screen specifications and manufacturer (though possibly different version or hardware revision numbers).

Have I missed anything?.

1. Maybe you missed that not only image retention can occur (that is to say that the image will stay for a while, then will disappear after more or less time), but that those screens are also affected by "burn-in" problem.
      On my 3rd replaced screen I can still clearly see the Windows Store icon on the task bar, even if I removed it some weeks ago. (I didn't even try to move the "Start" icon of Windows 8.1...)

This is not image retention but a burnt screen !

2. Maybe you missed that Dell can sometimes replace your screen, with some so-said "new" replacement screen that can be already burnt (and not only with image retention)...

Please see my first screen replacement photos here and here. These are pictures taken from a solid grey fullscreen image, and you can surely clearly see programs used by the previous screen owner...

All Replies
  • Yes, I have exactly the same problem. I get a new one...hope it is fixed there!
  • More interesting question - anyone NOT seeing this after looking for it because it is easy to overlook it if you never notice it.

• Yes same here - obvious "screen burn" of task bar icons, window close X, etc. Will keep an eye on it. I suspect it will be a warranty claim at some point if it gets any worse.

• I got a replacement laptop (due to other problems) and the screen was fine but after a while it started manifesting ghost images again. They gradually became worse and worse. Frankly I wonder if any Dell XPS 12 screen is NOT affected by the issue.

• I bought an XPS two months ago. It is really good machine, Win8 is great and it is very powerful for my software development needs but it started to get this ghosting issue too. I don't if it gets worse with time. Is there any workaround to this.

Thanks.

• yes i have it too!! do you just ring dell up and ask for a replacement in the 1-year warranty period?

• @rara123 you can do that but when I did I got another screen with ghost images. I don't know if there are screens which are will not get the ghost images at all

• After getting a replacement machine and waiting 3 months Ghost images get back. So this seems to be "state-of-the-art" at Dell.

• Since it seems like all displays have this defect (or develop it after a couple of months of usage) I wonder what will happen if we all start ordering replacements every 3 months...

• I plan on calling Dell today about mine. Im starting to see full window outlines like Microsoft word and the taskbar about an inch and a half in width around the whole perimeter.

• @agsbaseball09 please tell us how the replacement (or whatever you get) worked for you. Especially interesting if after you get a new one it will start having issues in a couple of months.

• My Dell XPS 12 has the same issue with ghosting, and has become apparent when only on a website or program page for a few minutes. I will be calling Dell tomorrow.

• Image ghosting is getting worse on mine, but a service technician is scheduled to repair or replace mine early next week.

• I just started to notice image ghosting on my XPS 12 last night; I've had it since mid-February. This thread popped right up on a search, and I don't know if I should be worried or relieved that so many others are reporting the same problem. Has there been any acknowledgment from Dell that this is a widespread issue? I'm guessing people whose screens don't exhibit this behavior aren't going to come across this thread and chime in about their ghost-free viewing experience, but the question now is whether this is a problem that develops in all XPS 12 screens after a few months of use.

• I have noticed the same on my computer, the task bar and title bars remain visible when I go back to the metro screen.  I tried using a screen saver, thinking I'm leaving a static display for too long but it should have that kind of effect after only 10 to 15 minutes of reading an article online.