Inspiron 1520 - blue screen - won't start up

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1520 - blue screen - won't start up

This question has suggested answer(s)

PLEASE can someone advise on the above problems. I am getting a message along the lines that the computer has shut down to protect itself. Despite repeated efforts to restart  - in normal mode, in safe mode and 'in last mode successfully used', I simply cannot get past the blue screen. The blue screen advises that I
may have to remove some recently downloaded software – but I haven’t added any software recently - but as I cannot get past the pesky blue screen there is no ability to troubleshoot. Anyone who has successful resolved this same or a similar sounding issue? you advice would be most welcome. Thks. D

All Replies
  • Most likely, your hard drive has failed.  Press F12 at powerup.  Boot to the Dell diagnostics and run an extended hard drive test.

• Thank you for the prompt advice. Just to check: when it offers me the choice of starting normally, or in safe mode, which option do I select? and do I then hold down Fn F12? or do I hold down F12 from the moment I press the power up button?

• Press F12 a few times immediately after you press the power button. The Dell diagnostics will appear in the menu.