Inspiron 5521 Win 8 recovery error

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 5521 Win 8 recovery error

This question is not answered

I just received a new inspiron 5521 with Win8.  I created a recovery CD for it and started using the software.  I installed ome software on it (turbo tax) and office and it started acting funny so I am try to just recover to the factory installation.  When I run the recover CD I tell it to restore to factory and at the initialization phase it crashed at 11% with Error 0x4001100200001005 ... I've tried multiple variation of the restore, changing bios settings, etc. and nothing has changed.  Any idea how I can get this restored back to the factory install?  Thanks

All Replies
  • Hi LenOk,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.  In case your system is able to boot to the desktop, you may follow the steps given below to restore the system to the factory installed state:

There are two ways to restore Windows 8 to factory settings. They are “Refresh” and “Reset”.

Refresh: The Refresh option is primarily a repair method. It is a great method of returning your PC to a known good state while preserving your files and a great deal of your configuration. With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, data files, and some settings are preserved on your PC without the need to create a backup, or to make choices about what to keep or remove.

Reset: This is similar to a PC restore. This option, also called Reset your PC is useful when a PC is changing hands, or when you want to get a completely fresh start on a PC, with no previous files or configuration retained.

To Refresh Windows 8 please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Open the General section of PC Settings by the key combination WIN KEY + C to open charms bar and click PC Settings.

2. Click the Get started button under Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

3. Click the Next button at the Refresh your PC step of the wizard.

4. You may be prompted to insert installation or recovery media if there is not a recovery image preconfigured on your PC.

5. Click the Refresh button at the Ready to refresh your PC step.

6. At this point, the PC is restarted, and the refresh actions are completed.

To Reset the Windows 8 to factory settings please follow the below mentioned steps:

(Note: Reset option will delete the data from the computer)

1. Open the General section of PC settings by the key combination WIN Key + C to open Charms bar and click PC settings.

2. Click the Get started button under Remove Everything and reinstall windows and start over.

3. Click the Next button at the Reset your PC and start over step of the wizard.

4. As in the Reset steps, you may be prompted to insert Windows 8 installation or recovery media if there is not a recovery image preconfigured on your PC.

5. If you have multiple drives on your PC, the next step gives you a choice of how you want files removed. You can remove files from the Windows drive only, or from all drives.

6. Next you will be asked if you want to fully clean your drive. You can choose to just remove my files or a more complete removal with the Fully clean the drive option. Neither option provides a guarantee that the data will be unrecoverable, but the fully clean option will make it significantly more difficult.

7. To proceed, click the Reset button at the Ready to reset your PC step, shown below.

8. At this point the PC is restarted into a full-screen progress screen.

9. The next step on a PC where the Pro Pack or Media Pack was installed is shown below. In these scenarios you will need to enter your Product Key. Notice that there is a Skip button here. This would enable you to complete the Reset without entering your key. That can be useful if you are selling a PC and want to retain a retail Windows 8 license that you installed on it.

10. The final step is the License Terms. Click Accept in this step to complete the reset.

Please reply to this post for further assistnace.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha Krishnappa
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    Order Status: http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
    Download Drivers: http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Hi LenOk,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha Krishnappa

• I am also facing same problem..my machine is not starting. I tried to recover it from recovery disk...it is something related to OEM drives...because i erased it through aomei partition assistant because it converted my whole hard disk in to OEM partition except 106GB(OS drive) out of 500GB,.....please help me

it is showing  "error 0x4001100200001005 please contact dell " please reply me soon my mail id is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

• Hi vivekyadavjhansi,

I would like to if the HDD on your computer is the one which was shipped with the system or if you replaced it with a retail version.  If it is HDD which was shipped with the system you may follow the steps given in the following link to resolve the issue:

http://bit.ly/10cnU9C

Let me know if this helped or reply with the status to assist you further.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha Krishnappa

• hello,

can you tell me how will i be able to to restore it completely with recovery disk  as i got first time with all drivers and software. I have lost all the data along with recovery partition and  how can i get the recovery disk.
    please tell me What is OEM I did two time self recovery with recovery partition before damage took place. and it converted my whole 500GB hard disk into OEM partition except OS(C:\) which was about 100 GB. I tried from disk manager but there was no option for shrinking they all are reserved by windows.

• Hi vivekyadavjhansi,

To recover the OS from the recovery media, follow these steps given below:

1. Plug in the AC Adapter.
    2. Insert the recovery media into the optical drive or connect the USB recovery key to the USB port.
    3. Boot from the recovery media by tapping <F12> at the Dell Logo and select CD/DVD Drive or USB Device as per the type of recovery media. You may be prompted to press a key to boot from CD/DVD, press any key on the keyboard if you see this message.
    4. Select the option to run the program from the System Recovery Disc, and then click Next.
    5. Click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.
    6. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.
    7. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.
    8. Choose between Factory Refresh (Restores system partition and keeps the existing content.) or Factory Recovery (Deletes all data and resets all partitions). Click Next.
    9. You will be prompted to back up your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.
    10. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.
    11. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system.

Revert to this post for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sujatha Krishnappa

• I NEED HELP PLEASE!!

I have DELL inspiron 5521 with win8..

I try to boot from CD/DVD, but simple, the device goes directly to windows, I tried several times without anything to be changed!!

I tried to change the boot device priority from BIOS, but I didn't find the option to...

my goal is to boot from CD/DVD.. how can I please??

THANKS A LOT !!

• Hi  KhalilJTK,

Welcome to the Community,

If you just want to boot system from a bootable DVD/CD you can access BIOS and change Boot List option to Legacy from UEFI,save changes and exit BIOS.

Try booting from DVD/CD(tap F12 on start up,select CD/DVD drive).

If system is still not able to boot from CD/DVD,please post back the type of media you're trying to boot from.Is it Windows disc or other bootable disc?

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• hiii....i buy 5520 inspiron with win 8, 64 bit.  i have th same problem. should i follow this steps or not. and also tell me the 4 step. when they ask for the installation disk for win 8 which i dont have and the recovery disk which i think i made already in 2 parts i think. how i can use it. please reply me fast.

thank u

• Hi vicky14,

Welcome to the Community,

If you're trying to resolve an issue with the Windows, then you may follow the steps posted by  DELL-Sujatha K

replied on 6 Mar 2013 2:14 AM.

You can either follow steps to Refresh( data wont be deleted) or Reset(data will be deleted). On step 4, if you're asked to insert disc, then you can use the recovery media you had created.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community