Inspiron 17R touchpad not working

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 17R touchpad not working

This question is answered

After turning on our Inspiron 17R laptop the cursor is between 2 user profiles and I can't get the cursor to move using the touchpad.  I tried using the Hot Key to enable the touchpad but that didn't work.  How do I fix it? 

Verified Answer
  • Hi GeorgeD3,

It appears to be an issue with Operating system of your computer. 

You may use System restore and restore the computer to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.  

Please share the findings. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/10GaKAc  

All Replies
  • Hi GeorgeD3,

Inspiron 17R has four variants: Inspiron 5721, Inspiron 5720, Inspiron N7110, Inspiron 17 R SE (7720). Please share the exact system model and Operating system installed. 

You may try to boot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking' and try using your computer to see if it exhibits the same behavior: 

• Restart the computer.
    • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
    • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the <Enter> key.
    • Select the user account at the log in screen and check if the system exhibits the same behavior. 

Note: Steps applicable for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

If you have Windows 8 installed, you may refer to link: http://bit.ly/XDksay to access safe mode with networking. 

You may also uninstall the touchpad driver from 'Device Manager' in Safe mode and then reboot the system in normal mode to re-install the touchpad driver. Once you are in safe mode with networking, you may follow the steps below:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
    • Click on “Manage”.
    • Click on “Device Manager”.
    • Under “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”, you will find the touchpad driver listed.
    • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
    • Check the box to delete the software.
    • Restart your system in normal mode and click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
    • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
    • You will find the touchpad driver under “Input”.
    • Click on the touchpad driver depending on the touchpad your system has. 
    • Click on “Download File”.
    • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
    • Click on “Download Now”.
    • Save the driver on your desktop.
    • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
    • Install the touchpad driver by following the on screen instructions.
    • Restart your computer. 

Check if the issue persists.

You may also check if the touchpad is disabled. Enable touchpad if disabled. Another step you may try is to use an external USB mouse and see if it works with computer. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/10GaKAc  

• My inspiron 17R is model N7010 with windows 7 installed.  I did try using an external USB mouse and the external mouse worked but none of the keys on the keyboard worked except the 2 keys that ligthen or darken the display screen.

• Hi Dell-Chinmay S

I tried to start the laptop up in "Safe mode with networking" and clicked on the user account by using the external mouse and none of the keys on the keyboard would work, so I was unable to log on.  Since I couldn't log on, I wasn't able to click on start and follow and of the reccommendations to correct my laptop.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, GeorgeD3

• Hi GeorgeD3,

You may try using an external keyboard and see if the system exhibits the same behavior with that. Another step you may try is to use your computer in safe mode and see if the issue still persists: 

• Restart the computer.
    • Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
    • Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the <Enter> key.
    • Select the user account at the log in screen. 
    • See if it exhibits the same behavior.

In case of keyboard, you can disconnect the USB keyboard connected with laptop and then use an Onscreen keyboard to see if the issue persists with that as well. 

To use On screen keyboard:

• Choose Start/Windows logo → Control Panel → Ease of Access → Ease of Access Center.
    • Click the Start On-Screen Keyboard button.
    • Test out the on-screen keyboard input in any application where you can enter text.
    • Click Options, select the Turn on numeric key pad check box, and then click OK.
    • Open a notepad and try typing on that by clicking on the keys of On screen keyboard.

Note: To use keystroke combinations (such as Ctrl+Z), click the first key (in this case, Ctrl) and then click the second key (Z). You don’t have to hold down the first key as you do with a regular keyboard. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 

• Hi Chinmay S

Thanks for responding and trying to help me.

I tried using the on screen keyboard and that worked, so I uninstalled the device driver for the toucpad and re installed it but the touchpad and keyboard still do not work.  I did notice when going into the device manager for the touchpad that there was a device status window that had the message "This device cannot start (Code 10)" and when going into the device manager for the keyboard there was a device status window with the message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".  Both meassages were there before and after uninstalling and re installing the device driver.

Any idea what those error codes are and how to fix them?

Thanks, GeorgeD3

• Hi GeorgeD3,

It appears to be an issue with Operating system of your computer. 

You may use System restore and restore the computer to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.  

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 

• Hi Chinmay S,

I did the system restore and it fixed the problem.  Thanks for all your help!

George

• Hi GeorgeD3,

I am glad that the issue is resolved. 

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 

• HI

I am having the same issue - I have tried reinstalling the drivers, doing a system restore and the problem persists if I go into safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Hi wfahey,

I have researched on this issue and one of my colleague has posted a resolution to your post on the below mentioned link.

http://dell.to/10B8b9E

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

• Hi Rajesh,

I have responded to the other poster, all be it a little late, but there doesn't seem to be any response. Could you help me?

Thanks,

Will.

• Hi Will,

Kinldy let me know the Complete system model so that I can help you better.

We need to do a BIOS update on the computer.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• Hi Rajesh.

Its a Dell Inspiron 7720 17R SE

Thanks,

Will

• Is anybody else available to help? I feel abandoned!

• Hi wfahey,

Try updating BIOS on the computer.

Click the link below to update latest BIOS on the computer:

http://dell.to/11yNBBZ

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
    • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update. 
    • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
    • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

If the issue persists, Kindly private message the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".