XPS 1502x driving me nuts

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 1502x driving me nuts

This question is not answered

After about half a year the noise began.

It is a whizzing, whirling noise that lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds and gets louder by the second. It then stops completely for one second and then starts again the same scenario and continues all day in an endless loop. I have a home recording studio where the equipment is very sensitive and it picks up this noise and I don't know what to do.

When I bought the laptop, I chose the model with the most upscale components and spent a lot of money since a laptop that runs a home recording studio has to be very powerful in all categories. I am already thinking of what laptop to switch  to as I don't have the time and patience to deal with this nonsense.  Is this the same symptoms that everyone else here is experiencing? It seems everyone is talking about the fan or multiple fans. Does what I am describing sound like what most of you are experiencing?

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Hi cleefer1,

I understand how annoying this could me.

I request you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air and make sure the unit is placed on a flat surface where there is good air circulation.

I suggest that you flash BIOS to the latest version. Please find the link below for the same:

http://dell.to/S8eDLW

Note: While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.

If the noise persists even after flashing BIOS, I suggest that you to run diagnostics on Fan.  To run diagnostics, press and hold the ‘Fn’ key and power on the computer.  When the computer starts it runs diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes.  Next Press N for no when it asks you to continue Memory test.

Next the option listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’.  Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on Fan and hit enter. Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• Hi cleefer1,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks and Regards,
    DELL-Sujatha K
    Dell Social Media and Community Professional
    #iwork4Dell
    Order Status
    Download Drivers

• The noise could only be coming from a moving part. Than typically mean eithey the fan or the hard disk. You need to investigate where the noise is coming from. If the noice is coming from the fan (as is most likely the case) then you should simply replace the fan and problem solved. If the noise is coming from a hard disk then you need to back it up and relplace it.