Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or SSD on an XPS 12 model?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or SSD on an XPS 12 model?

This question is answered

So I received purchased an XPS 12 convertible and was wondering if I can replace the RAM or the SSD in it. I purchased the base model back in December but in the estimated month and a half production period(global shortage on the screen tech) I wanted to upgrade the RAM and SSD. But dell said they couldn't modify the order even though it was still in pre-production status. They said I could refuse the shipment and place another order for the upgraded model but they would've had to charge me for the new order even though they already had a cc auth for the first order. The downside was I would lose my queue in production and I didn't want to wait another 1.5 - 2 months so I declined.

Enough with my ranting...are those 2 components physically integrated into the board or can I replace/upgrade them? I couldn't find any info in the owners manual on it.

Verified Answer
  • The drive is a standard mSATA unit - it can be replaced.  The memory cannot be upgraded - it's soldered to the mainboard.

All Replies
  • The drive is a standard mSATA unit - it can be replaced.  The memory cannot be upgraded - it's soldered to the mainboard.

• If I were upgrade the SSD, do you have any advice on how to create a copy of everything on the current drive to the new one?

• There are mSata enclosures and software that can make a clone of the old drive. You can then swap the old and new drive and be up and running quickly.