Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or SSD on an XPS 12 model?

This question is answered

So I received purchased an XPS 12 convertible and was wondering if I can replace the RAM or the SSD in it. I purchased the base model back in December but in the estimated month and a half production period(global shortage on the screen tech) I wanted to upgrade the RAM and SSD. But dell said they couldn't modify the order even though it was still in pre-production status. They said I could refuse the shipment and place another order for the upgraded model but they would've had to charge me for the new order even though they already had a cc auth for the first order. The downside was I would lose my queue in production and I didn't want to wait another 1.5 - 2 months so I declined.

Enough with my ranting...are those 2 components physically integrated into the board or can I replace/upgrade them? I couldn't find any info in the owners manual on it.

Verified Answer
  • The drive is a standard mSATA unit - it can be replaced.  The memory cannot be upgraded - it's soldered to the mainboard.

All Replies
  • The drive is a standard mSATA unit - it can be replaced.  The memory cannot be upgraded - it's soldered to the mainboard.

• If I were upgrade the SSD, do you have any advice on how to create a copy of everything on the current drive to the new one?

• There are mSata enclosures and software that can make a clone of the old drive. You can then swap the old and new drive and be up and running quickly.