trying to connect my laptop to a bigger monitor heeeelp!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

trying to connect my laptop to a bigger monitor heeeelp!

This question is not answered

Hi everyone, I am trying to connect my laptop dell latitude 630 its pretty old, the one with blue mouse in the middle of keyboard.  I am trying to connect it to a little bigger monitor with a vga cable but when I do, the monitor says no signal?

I tried pressing fn and f7  also fn and f8 but still "no signal" says the monitor. 

When I right click the mouse, I dont see anything on the list that could help me. 

What am I doing wrong. OOOh also I did try turning both my pc and the monitor off and back on but nothing still. 

Any ideas?

All Replies
  • Hi  besbes,

Welcome to the Community,

Make sure the VGA cable is connected firmly on both laptop and monitor.

Try the steps given in this link below :

www.ehow.com/how_5544182_switch-external-monitor-dell-laptop.html

Note:This is a 3rd party link and not a Dell validated link.

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

• Hello Roshan, thank you for your reply, but it is still not working. I did all the steps on the link you gave but still nothing. I just dont understand because I used to have a toshiba laptop and I used the same monitor and cable and as soon as I would plug the cable in the monitor and pc it worked. I dont understand why it is not working on this one?

Thank you again 

• Hello Roshan, thank you for your reply, but it is still not working. I did all the steps on the link you gave but still nothing. I just dont understand because I used to have a toshiba laptop and I used the same monitor and cable and as soon as I would plug the cable in the monitor and pc it worked. I dont understand why it is not working on this one?

Thank you again

• Hi  besbes,

Is the external monitor getting detected on your laptop?

When you  go to Control Panel,Personalization,Display Settings,click Detect.Does the external monitor get detected?

Note:When you try the above VGA cable should be connected between the laptop and monitor.

If its not getting detected then you may need to uninstall and reinstall the Video card driver.To find the video card driver go to www.support.dell.com ,select Drivers and Downloads,enter system Service tag number,select Operating System,expand Video,select your system Video card to download and reinstall.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community