Dell Inspiron M5030

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron M5030

This question is not answered

I have a dell Inspiron M5030, purchased 12/09, so no warranty.  The laptop shuts it's self off, even when pulled in to an outlet.  When I ran a (diagnostic) the hard drive failed.  Could this be what is causing the automatic shut down?  Any help would be appreicated.

All Replies
  • Hi,

If the hard drive test failed while running the diagnostics, it definitely indicates a faulty hard drive. If your system is still booting up, I would recommend you to back up the important data.

I would also like to know how exactly are you running the diagnostics and if you get any particular error code.

You can run the diagnostics by following the steps below.

1. Ensure the system is powered off.

2. Press and hold the <Fn> key and press the power button to power the system on.

3. Release both buttons.

4. The PSA diagnostics sequence begins.

Make note of any PSA beep codes or PSA error codes

I would also advise you to boot up the system is BIOS and check if it is still shutting down.Please follow the steps below to boot the system to BIOS:
    1. Restart the system
    2. Press F2 on the dell logo to go to the BIOS.
    3. Wait on this BIOS screen and see if the system shuts down.

Also, check if the system is getting heated up as it may also cause the system to shutdown automatically.
    If the system is getting heated up please follow the steps below to prevent it.

Clean the Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
    2. Turn off the System.
    3. Unplug the AC Adapter.
    4. Remove the Battery.
    5. Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Please update BIOS:

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:

*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged

*Battery charger should be connected

*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.

*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

1. Click on the link http://dell.to/QmDeeZ
    2. Click on ‘Get Driver’
    3. Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
    4. Click on ‘Continue’
    5. Click on ‘Save’
    6. Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
    7. Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
    8. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program

Restart the computer.
    Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell
    To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here

• Forgive me I can't remeber the name of the diagnostic system I ran, however I got there by pressing the F12 key when powering the laptop on.  It ran through many tests and the hard drive failed and gave me this information.

Error Code 0142

MSG: Error Code 2000-0142

MSG: Hard Drive failed

I have tried the F2 key and receive a loud beeping from the laptop.

• Now I can't even get it to power on, it just goes through a series of 7 loud beeps over and over.

• Hi,

The error 0142 indicates that the hard drive has failed and needs replacement, the hard drive on this system is a field replaceable unit and requires a technician to replace it.

The 7 beeps also indicate it is a processor failure, you can try to disconnect all the external peripherals,take out the AC adapter and the battery and press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Reconnect the battery and adapter and try to restart.However, the hard drive has surely failed, and need to be replaced.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a personal message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system details and give you the contact details for the out of warranty repair team in your country.

Alternatively, you can also contact a local technician to replace the hard drive.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,
    Dell_Abhishek_B
    #IworkforDell
    To learn more about Dell Products, Services, and Drivers, click Here

• I'm having a similar problem with our m5030 dell. I'm running the test you recommend (fn and power button) got that going but the screen goes black and can't see if there's an error code, but do get a series of 3 loud beeps three times in a row followed by a ripple of beeps then the three beeps repeat

this started when my wife was using the lap top and it would go black screen and shut down. Now it tries to start  but doesn't quite get there before it shuts down. When it would run I went to dell support and started to run the diagnostics but it would shut down and the test would end. Got any ideas?

Edward at <Admin Note:email address removed per privacy policy~RK>. Not a Facebook user

• The screen came on for a moment with error code 0333, does that help?