Dell Inspiron N5110 Dropped - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell Inspiron N5110 Dropped

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron N5110 Dropped

This question has been answered by ejn63

Hello, I'm in need of some help. I'd like to fix this problem on my own without having to head to a local computer store which I'd have to pay cash for repairs. I dropped my Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop a few feet from the ground. The laptop was off so I switched it on and the The Dell logo appeared and then just a black screen followed. I waited and waited..nothing. I removed the battery and power chord for a few moments then put them back. Same thing occurred.

I started it up another time and hit f12 on the Dell logo screen and ran a Diagnostic. Everything checked out but the Hard Drive. I got an error code 2000 - 0151.

I checked online to find some possible solutions such as removing the Hard Drive then putting it back on. So I found the manual to my laptop on the Dell website and did just that. I took apart my laptop and put it back together. I just now turned it on a few moments ago and it got stuck on the Windows Logo once or twice. I tried again and now It seemed to bring me all the way to the login screen. I just logged in and it seems to be going quite slow but here I am at the desktop.

What should I do now? It's not entirely fixed, it can't be. It's running way too slow. I need to know my next step please. Can anyone help me out?

If there's any additional information needed to help, just ask, I'll post it. Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Since it sounds like the drive is still at least partially readable, it may be possible to retrieve your data.  To try, mount the drive in a 2.5" external USB case, attach it to a working system and copy the files you can still read.

There is no solution short of a new drive - but the hard drive is the least expensive thing you could have ruined in the accident - a $75 or less drive beats a $100+ screen or $250+ mainboard.

All Replies
  • You need a new hard drive.  You destroyed the existing drive in the fall.

• So there's no possible way to recover from this but buy a new Hard Drive?

Is there any possible way to save any of the data I have got on the existing Hard Drive?

• Since it sounds like the drive is still at least partially readable, it may be possible to retrieve your data.  To try, mount the drive in a 2.5" external USB case, attach it to a working system and copy the files you can still read.

There is no solution short of a new drive - but the hard drive is the least expensive thing you could have ruined in the accident - a $75 or less drive beats a $100+ screen or $250+ mainboard.

• Thank you for your knowledge ejn63. I appreciate it very much.

• The first time you ran diagnostics - you got a -0151 (most likely that is for a Hard Drive not detected).  You reseated it, and now it is detected, and boots, albeit slowly.

0) You dropped it, an number of things could be wrong in addition to the HDD, including memory and mobo

1) Run diagnostics on it -- you haven't done that since reseating everything

2) Try safe mode and see if it boots faster

- If it doesn't, it is probably hard ware

- If it does it probably software.....

• Thank you faizalenu.

I have run diagnostics again and I still get only the one error from the Hard Drive, 2000-0151.

I can't try safe mode for I can not reach it. The laptop eventually started freezing up while all I did was attempt to open my documents and get some important information from a PDF file. The screen get's past the Dell logo and shows a blinking underline that blinks for a few times and disappears. Then another underline blinks for few times, although it's further to the left of the screen along the edge. After that I just get a black screen that sometimes ends up showing the Windows logo but it has not gotten further then that.