I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows Vista. I have just lost the use of both shiftkeys, have tried to update drivers, I have used KeyTweak with which I changed my caps lock to left shiftbut even it cant allocate to the right and left shift, has anyone any suggestions. I would be very grateful for any help.
Please try to run Dell PC checkup which would help you detect system's hardware issue. Follow the below mentioned steps to run the test:-
1. Click on start – type Dell Support Center – please click on it.
2. Click on PC checkup on the top right corner.
3. Click on custom test.
4. Run test on keyboard.
5. Press both the shift keys which are not working, in case if it fails to respond it needs to be replaced in case if your system is in warranty.
In case your system does not have the Dell Support Center downloaded, you can refer to this link for downloading the latest version of Dell Support Center:-
I would also like to ask you a few questions:-
1. Since when you are facing this issue?
2. Was there any liquid spillage?
Please go to BIOS by tapping F2 as soon as you switch on the system. You need to look for “Load Defaults” and please set it to factory settings and restart your system.
I am sending you a private message and once you receive it, please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact information so I may access to your system records and will then let you know the system warranty status and future course of action.
Thanks and RegardsDeepa R#iworkfordell